1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Homeowner ?, Commercial walk behind or big box riding?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Michael950, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Michael950

Michael950 LawnSite Member
    from C

I am a homeowner who has a home on an acre lot. I have to mow approximately 17,000 sq ft of turf. To mow, trim, and blow it takes from 3 - 4 hours, all with a 21" Honda push mower. (longer when we get over 95*)

My Honda worked great at my old house, but this is getting old fast. Been here 2 years and I'm not going to do this routine again. I'm going to bid the work out, but I know it's going to be at least $50 a service.

I know that speed and width of cut are important, and I have yet to find a rental place that rents a commercial walk behind mower (Exmark/Toro/Scag) which I would prefer so I may gauge the improved efficiency of a commercial walk-behind.
    I'd like to get a 48" Turf Tracer or Viking (or Toro equivalent), but that's a lot of coin for a homeowner. Realistically I'd get a 36 or 48" Metro, but for about the same amount of money I can get a 50" ZTR Cub Cadet from Depot (or something similar).

I'd love to be able to test drive the mowers, because I know the quality of cut, handling of terrain, and impact on turf (damage) will all be different. So the next thing is to ask the pros.

Would I be better getting the big box rider, or should I get a commercial walk behind?

[Mowing season is April 1 to Nov 20, and May to Oct is weekly. At $50/service that would be approx $1,400 per year. I've done this for 2 years now so self mowing has saved me $2,800, but I feel a more realistic rate would be $55-$60]

2. Michael950

from C

Regarding obstacles, there are approx 6-8 tress in the front and 10 - 12 in the back. Most of which are approx 4-5" DBH.

3. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get the homeowner ztr if all you were cuting is your own lawn.

4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

How much $$$$ are willing to spend? :usflag:

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Look at Snapper or Husqvarna (or a quality equivelant) at a local independent dealer. They'll be there to take care of you if your mower goes down. Where will Home Depot be?

6. Michael950

from C

If I can get the job done in 2 hours or less, $3,000. But if Snapper will do the same, for half the price then I'd get the snapper.

7. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

have afriend of mine that has a homeowner toro ztr. Mows around 1 acre at his place, and the same at his dads. Cuts good, and hasnt had a problem in the 2 yrs hes used it. Buy at your local dealer, much better support.

8. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Might want to take a look at the new Gravely Wide Area Walk (WAW) intended for someone like yourself. Should be less that $1500.

9. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

If you are handy I would look into getting an old dixon ztr on ebay or somewhere. I picked one up (12hp briggs/42") a few years ago and use it solely for my home yard. Paid 350 for it. It is 20+ years old but parts are still easy to get and it cuts great. I mow 1 acre with it, takes about 25-30 minutes I think. It is great for what I use it for and honestly has plenty of power to speed through it. It is the old cone drive.

10. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Here ya go. The finest customer service and quality machines. :usflag:

www.betteroutdoorproducts.com