Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. engineer89

engineer89 LawnSite Member

If you are going to be mowing 6 acres, you need a 61" mower. I personally mow 4 acres of centipede with a Ferris 3200z with 61" deck. With a 37 HP Vanguard EFI engine it takes me between 3 and 4 hours. That's without any edging or weed eating. I had a Scag Wildcat with 61" cut, but after 14 years of bouncing I decided I needed to do something better for my back. The Ferris is hands down the smoothest riding machine I've found. I've tried Hustlers as well. No comparison. You're biggest problem is your budget. $6k is not enough for a machine that can handle that much grass on a weekly basis. Most all these brands have 0% financing all the time. Also, I would consider Hustler. They have one of the largest product lines with a wide price range. My uncle recently purchased an X-One 60" cut with 29 HP Kohler EFI for less than $9k. You could step down to the Fastrack HD or whatever for a little less. Find you a good dealer first and go from there. My dealer sells Scag, Hustler, Ferris, Snapper Pro.

2. Largebore

Largebore LawnSite Senior Member

Actually for around 6k you can. I cut 10acres each week with a Toro MX6000 No problem handling the work load.

3. tdipaul

tdipaul LawnSite Member

the grass is still growing fast in CNJ!

[​IMG]

4. swamp_stalker

swamp_stalker LawnSite Member

I cut a little over 4 acres of grass with a 61" Scag tiger cat in 2 hours flat. Very rough ground so I am not going full speed. My buddy been cutting 2 acres with a 50" Toro from Lowe's for almost 10 years and never had a single problem with the mower. I work with a guy who cuts 5 acres with a Craftsman 42" lawn tractor. Can't imagine how long it takes but he's been doing it for many years.

My point is that you can absolutely get a mower to cut your property for 6k. It comes down to speed, comfort and whether or not you mind replacing a less expensive mower in 3-5 years if it doesn't last. Then again, my Scag might not last as long as my friends Toro. Who knows!!

5. ted928

ted928 LawnSite Member

I have a 60" Toro Z500. I have had it for 14 years and have ~500 hours. I cut ~4 acres of flat lawn. I don't have a bagger. A few times a year I hand rake some clippings to be used for mulch. I spoke to a dealer about getting a used bagger and was told it is very hard to find just a bagger and instead I should look for a mower that already has a bagger.
    I was thinking about getting a cyclone rake. Any thoughts on what to get?

6. swamp_stalker

I use grass clippings for my chicken coop. I am about to buy a grass collector from tractor supply to pull behind my mower. I have heard they work plenty good enough for what they cost.

7. ted928

ted928 LawnSite Member

I didn't even think of a sweeper. Did you do much research on which sweeper to buy? Thanks

8. swamp_stalker

The one at tractor supply got good reviews. Cost about $225. Not cheap but much less than a bagger for my Scag and i can just unhook it when I don't want to use it.

9. ted928

ted928 LawnSite Member

Please let us know what you think of it. Thanks

10. Brian1454

Brian1454 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have experience installing/using a suspension seat kit (installs between the seat and seat slide on a ZTR)? If so, what kit and how did it smooth out your bumps? Was it worth the time/money?