Lawn Care Forum banner

Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

420K views 1K replies 263 participants last post by  dlentp79 
#1 ·
Well I think it is about time for this and maybe the moderators can please sticky this?

It seems that it is about once a day a new member comes along and asks for advise on a ZTR, Tractor, mower or walkbehind for their property. I think this is the place to discuss and add info on machines that will fit peoples needs for their property all in one place. We can also start adding technical info and photos on the machines we are familiar. This will certainly help those that are searching for a mower and help them narrow down the search. Let's try and be polite and please "NO" brand bashing! Let's keep it mower and engine related. So to all those that can help, I am sure it will be appreciated to those searching for a new or used machine. Thanks!

#3 ·
I agree and think we can stick this thread here for now...as was already said, please no "brand bashing", etc. and we should be all set
Thanks Mike! So for any new members, feel free to ask any questions here! There are quite a few avid members here along with some pro's that stop by and can certainly help get you in the machine that is just right for your property.

#4 ·
Exactly the type of information I was hoping to find here.

I'm a homeowner with approximately 1-1/4 acre to mow and a lot of the mowing is around raised flower beds, berms and trees. I'm rough on lawn tractors and have been through a Toro, a John Deere and a couple more over the last twenty or so years. I prefer a mulching deck and need something that can take care of oak tree and magnolia leaves.

I have about $5K I can spend but don't want to unless I have to. I've looked at Ferris, ExMark, Toro, Gravely, Ariens and a few others and I'm just as confused now as when I started looking. A 48" deck will be more than enough since I have a limited space in which to park it...also during VERY rainy weeks my yard get soft out front and hard to mow.

Given all that...what do the experts recommend?

Thanks in advance.

#530 ·

I'm a homeowner with approximately 1-1/4 acre to mow and a lot of the mowing is around raised flower beds, berms and trees. I'm rough on lawn tractors and have been through a Toro, a John Deere and a couple more over the last twenty or so years. I prefer a mulching deck and need something that can take care of oak tree and magnolia leaves.

I have about $5K I can spend but don't want to unless I have to. I've looked at Ferris, ExMark, Toro, Gravely, Ariens and a few others and I'm just as confused now as when I started looking. A 48" deck will be more than enough since I have a limited space in which to park it...also during VERY rainy weeks my yard get soft out front and hard to mow.

Thanks in advance.
You might look at a toro ztr mx series. The mx 4250 is about $3,800 with 24.5 horse engine and fab deck. Top speed 7 mph. It was my first ztr solid machine for the price.

#5 ·
I'm also a homeowner with 1 1/4 acres of thick grass I mow two days per week. The rest of my 2.5 acres is prairie grass. I mow this in the spring. I live in Minnesota to give you an idea of the growing season. We have Ferris and Hustler dealers in the area. Both shops have a good reputation for parts and service. I been looking at the following......

Hustler Super Duty 25/54
Ferris 1500 52"
Ferris 2000 52"
What Hustler model is similar to the Ferris 2000?

I am very aware that most of the above listed machines are overkill for my situation. Your thoughts on the above listed machines would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 · (Edited)

Thanks in advance.
This is defiantly a Hustler Sport or BadBoy MZ candidate. These machines are built for an acre or so. both have upgraded engine choices. These machines will do the job and you could have one of these from about 3K-4K depending one engine choices and deck sizes. Defiantly a popular mower the past few years and more so now with better engine choices.

If you want to go a step further, I bought the Hustler superduty 19/42 and highly recommend!!! perfect mower for 1-2 acres, just a little on the small side. I previously owned a Hustler MiniFastrak and loved it. This is basically the same machine, but with a better engine and transmission. Another mower would be the Bad Boy ZT series good solid mower and still affordable in the high 4K range. I also shopped around the Bobcat Fastcat series and was pretty set on getting one. There is the Fastcat RZ and the Fastcat pro. I really liked the Fastcat pro and would suggest the Fastcat pro over the RZ. The RZ has the 2800 Hydro gear along with the Briggs professional series engines. The fastcat pro has the Kawasaki engines along with 3100 hydro gear transmissions. The Fastcat pro can be had for 5K. Bobcat mowers have a good reputation and allot of guys that use them in the biz swear by them. The Bobcat is worth a look if you have a dealer near by!

#7 ·
I'm also a homeowner with 1 1/4 acres of thick grass I mow two days per week. The rest of my 2.5 acres is prairie grass. I mow this in the spring. I live in Minnesota to give you an idea of the growing season. We have Ferris and Hustler dealers in the area. Both shops have a good reputation for parts and service. I been looking at the following......

Hustler Super Duty 25/54
Ferris 1500 52"
Ferris 2000 52"
What Hustler model is similar to the Ferris 2000?

I am very aware that most of the above listed machines are overkill for my situation. Your thoughts on the above listed machines would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device
There is an active member on here that has a new Ferris IS500, he might stop in and give you a little info on the Ferris, he seems to know the lineup pretty well. I myself think that the Hustler 25/54 you mentioned is a great machine and would be a perfect fit for your needs. Hustler is one of the best mowers in the industry backed by a fantastic company. I just bought the superduty 19/42 and I am looking forward to using it. My second Hustler and nothing but good things to say!

#8 ·
Capemay Eagle, thanks for the info. From what I've read it looks like the local deaer can give me an ok deal on a 2010 Hustler 25/54 Super Duty. The snow is finally gone and the grass will be growing soon. I have talked to the dealers and have demo rides set up as soon as the weather cooperates and the grass starts growing. Is the Hustler x-one a similar mower to the ferris is2000 other then the suspension ? I'm also interested in learning more about the icd and vx4 decks.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
Capemay Eagle, thanks for the info. From what I've read it looks like the local deaer can give me an ok deal on a 2010 Hustler 25/54 Super Duty. The snow is finally gone and the grass will be growing soon. I have talked to the dealers and have demo rides set up as soon as the weather cooperates and the grass starts growing. Is the Hustler x-one a similar mower to the ferris is2000 other then the suspension ? I'm also interested in learning more about the icd and vx4 decks.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you in Princton NJ? I am selling a BadBoy 42" CZT mower with 16hours. It is to big for my yard and I had to buy a smaller unit. I will make you a great deal. This is a commecial mower. This mower comes with a powerchute bagger. 7K invested I am asking 5K. I have not had it a year yet! The deck is a little smaller, but still a great machine at a great price!

That X one mower is going to cost you 10K! Way over kill

#12 ·
Capemay, thanks for your response. Went looking today and found a new 2010 Toro 74444 marked down to $5999 (from $7199). Probably more than I need but what a beautiful machine...would last me several lifetimes I think.
Toro is a great machine, I have a friend that has been in the business 30 years and that is all he uses! Never more than you need, if you can afford to more mower, get it! Better cut, better deck and better resale! If you place an add for a used Toro, you are bound to sell it quick!

#14 ·
New to the site, enjoying the information!
Homeowner with flat yard (just under 1 acre) and many landscape curves. Killed a set of front tires in under 400 hours on my John Deere LX279 from all the turning.
Looking at a near commercial ZRT; leaning toward Scag Freedom Z with Kawasaki 20HP or possibly Toro Titan ZX4820 with 22 HP Kawasaki engine. Limited brand options since a nearby servicing dealer is important. I have also considered Exmark LazerZ E series with 20HP Kawasaki; this seemed fairly comparable to my other options but much pricier and probably overkill for my needs. I will add the mulching system to which ever model I end up with. Quality of cut is important; thick lawn which I cut anywhere from 2" to 3.5" depending on season.
Any thoughts or experience with these mowers?

#16 ·
Down to three mowers now:

2010 Exmark Quest SP (new) for $4999
2011 Ferris I500 for $4999
2011 Exmark Pioneer E series $4999

The Quest SP has a lot of features that neither the Ferris nor the Pioneer have...I think it's the one for me.
One thing the Ferris has is suspension,of those I would prefer the Ferris. Your back will thank you.
Take em out for a test drive,see which one you like.

#17 ·
New to the site, enjoying the information!
Homeowner with flat yard (just under 1 acre) and many landscape curves. Killed a set of front tires in under 400 hours on my John Deere LX279 from all the turning.
Looking at a near commercial ZRT; leaning toward Scag Freedom Z with Kawasaki 20HP or possibly Toro Titan ZX4820 with 22 HP Kawasaki engine. Limited brand options since a nearby servicing dealer is important. I have also considered Exmark LazerZ E series with 20HP Kawasaki; this seemed fairly comparable to my other options but much pricier and probably overkill for my needs. I will add the mulching system to which ever model I end up with. Quality of cut is important; thick lawn which I cut anywhere from 2" to 3.5" depending on season.
Any thoughts or experience with these mowers?
Another Toro in the mix vs the Freedom Z is Titan MX4880; it is a similar price point to the Scag Freedom Z.

#18 ·
I saw yours for sale. Unfortunately like you, the overall size of the unit is one of my big concerns. I have lot's of tight curves and spaces. I also suspect the 42" deck limits overhang and ability to cut in tight curves.
That's a consideration i hadn't thought of. I really like my Snapperpro 36"on MY yard. After getting bounced around hog rootings this weekend for four hours straight. I fell in love with a Ferris 44" today. Anything with suspension but i like the 44" deck it had.

#19 ·
Checked out the Hustler FasTrak Super Duty 48"; dealer network is weak in my area compared to others, but a nice machine and a contender as I try to decide.

Will add mulch kit for full time mulching (thick bluegrass blend). Under one flat acre with lot's of landscape beds / inside and outside curves. Cut quality very important.

My current options at similar pricing:
Scag Freedom Z (48") with 20HP Kawasaki
Hustler FasTrak SD (48") with 23HP Kawasaki (will also add Flex Forks)
Toro Titan MX4880 with 22HP Kawasaki

The budget option:
Toro ZX4820 with 22HP Kawasaki

The Hustler is looking strong because of the added HP since I'll be mulching, but Freedom Z seems comparable beyond HP, maybe a better mulching system.
Thoughts?:)

#20 ·
"...but Freedom Z seems comparable beyond HP, maybe a better mulching system.
Thoughts?"

I borrowed my back door neighbor's 3 year old Freedom Z this past weekend to mow my yard (and to see if I was really making a good decision to go ZTR - I am). He has a mulching system on it and I came away filthy!!!! Tiny grass clippings and dust come up all around the deck when you're not moving and cover your legs and feet. Granted the mulching was very satisfactory but it made me reconsider having a mulching kit on my mower if they are all like that. I'm still negotiating for an Exmark Quest SP (leftover new 2010 model) and hope to have an excellent price locked down this week.

#21 ·
I have heard others mention all the dirt when mulching; I wonder if the Hustler is better; I also looked at a 2010 leftover Ex-Mark quest. They really down graded the 20111, but the 2010 seemed like a well built compact machine. My dealer only had the 22HP Briggs engine and I was ruling out because of that, maybe I should reconsider. It was less than the others I am looking at:
I was quoted $4699.99 plus $200 for mulch kit, less $200 manufacturer discount, plus tax. I didn't push or negotiate yet, but saw them advertised as low as $3999. (no mulch) on-line.
Under the 2010 specs, it seemed solid with welded deck and fabricated deck. What feedback have you heard?

#22 ·
Sorry - just reread and saw you are looking at a different Ex-Mark - too long on edit to change:
It looks like the one you are looking at is now the Pioneer Series. I have no dealers near that stock any Pioneer Series; Are they decent? Their specs look pretty comparable to the Hustler with a 48" deck. I'll be talking to my dealers tomorrow. I'll ask about the Pioneers. I had priced out an Ex-Mark LazerZ E series and thought too pricey though not too far off the Hustler once I added the flex forks. The LazerZ E-Series coming in at $6549 plus mulch kit and tax.

#23 · (Edited)
Checked out the Hustler FasTrak Super Duty 48"; dealer network is weak in my area compared to others, but a nice machine and a contender as I try to decide.

Will add mulch kit for full time mulching (thick bluegrass blend). Under one flat acre with lot's of landscape beds / inside and outside curves. Cut quality very important.

The budget option:

The Hustler is looking strong because of the added HP since I'll be mulching, but Freedom Z seems comparable beyond HP, maybe a better mulching system.
More bang for the buck with the SD 48!
You could also just look at the Superduty 48" Your still almost getting the same mower minus the FX series engine or Honda option. The Fastrak is really more than you will ever need! If I could fit a 48" mower around my obstacles, I would already own a Fastrak 48". I was pricing them last summer for $4900. Unfortunately my only options were the Fastrak SD or the Sport.

#24 ·

The budget option:

More bang for the buck with the SD 48!
You could also just look at the Superduty 48" Your still almost getting the same mower minus the FX series engine or Honda option. The Fastrak is really more than you will ever need!

#25 ·
Just checked out the 2011 Hustler line up a local independent (but good!:cool2:) Dealer.
I think the old literature I had created confusion.
Three Residential models, Sport, FasTrak & FasTrak SD. I definitely do not need the SD.
The 2011 FasTrak has the same ZT3100 transmissions as the SD, 22hp Kawasaki FS, non-folding ROP bar and 4 year residential warranty.
I think I found a suitable machine if I can get comfortable driving this thing!