Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Brian1454

Brian1454 LawnSite Member

Ferris question: Can an IS500 and IS2000z decks be swapped? Does anyone know?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob LawnSite Member

Newbie here.

Looking to ditch my Cub Cadet RZT 42" with steering wheel. I'm looking for 60/61" decks.

My short list is Hustler X1 with FX850 engine VX4 deck, Ferris IS2100z with the Vanguard 810 EFI + oil guard and ICD deck, or a Scag Tiger Cat 2 with the Kohler EFI 29 HP motor with the velocity deck.

I am mowing a 1.25 lot. Back yard is sloped with a short segment at most 20 degrees, but the rest is around 10 degrees. The slope goes down to a road and so I'm not worried about driving into a pond. Yard is kind of bumpy with mild rollers

The hustler is at $8450; Ferris is $9500-ish (I left my note at the office); Scag is $9277.

Appreciate everyone's opinions.
    Dr. Bob

3. Shaheen Eydgahi

Shaheen Eydgahi LawnSite Member

Brand new to the site - I hope I'm doing this right...

I'm looking for a new mower for the home I just moved into. I currently have an old Yard-Man, 42", 17hp B&S that works fine but just isn't big enough. My new place has about 4 acres of yard to mow. It's got light tree coverage and mostly flat, with the exception of one big hill that is probably 50-60' long, and maybe 30 degree incline. It's by far the hardest part to mow. Current mower struggles with it - I can only make it up at full speed, and my brakes only slow me if I'm going downhill.

With all of that, I'm confused about which direction to take for my next mower. Been eyeing old Farmall/Allis wide-front tractors with a 6' belly mower. TBH, the biggest reason is I like how they look, but that they have the biggest mowing deck and potential future projects (loader, tiller, etc) might be nice if I decide to go that route. I've also looked into the pull behind mowers for my ATV (Grizzly 660), like a used 60" Swisher or something. Finally, I just started looking into brand new garden tractors. I like the Craftsman Pro Series 54" with the Tight Turn technology (biggest reason I'm leaning that way over a XT1 Cub), and I also like that it's brand new with a warranty.

I'd like to stay under $3k if possible. Primary purpose for any machine is going to be mowing grass, so with all of that said, I'm hoping to gain a little wisdom and insight from you before I make a purchase!

Thanks in advance for helping out a noob like me!

4. swamp_stalker

swamp_stalker LawnSite Member

I was in the same exact boat as you a few months back. Moved from a decent size residential lawn to a house with over 4 acres of grass. I had a old 42" Toro zero turn that just couldn't get through the grass in my pastures, even after just 1 week of growth. It also took forever and a day to cut it all. I also looked at the atv mowers, and a tractor with belly mower. I ended up going back with a zero turn, but almost any advise you get on this site will be a machine that is double or triple your budget. A buddy of mine has been cutting 2 acres with a 50" troy bilt zero turn for about a decade and never had a problem with it. My old Toro also never gave me a bit of trouble after almost 10 years, so yes, those cheaper box store mowers can and will cut your grass. You are just giving up speed, power and cut quality to stay within your budget. If I were to do it over again, I would have kept my old Toro to cut around the house, trees and fence line, then got a tractor with a belly mower to do the rest. The atv mowers just seemed like they would take forever, and I am not sure they would stand up to weekly usage.

hort101 likes this.
  5. Shaheen Eydgahi

Thanks for your input! Your suggestion was an option I had thought of as well (tractor + old mower) but it's nice hearing some confirmation of that!

6. Shaheen Eydgahi

I should probably clarify, the hill separates my front yard and my back yard. My whole back yard is down the big hill, so I need to keep it cut, along with all the land after the hill as well. Any input from others is definitely welcomed!

7. ted928

ted928 LawnSite Member

I can cut 4 acres with my 60" commercial ZTR in 2 hours. Blade tip speed controls how fast you can cut.

8. swamp_stalker

I should have mentioned that I ended up with a 61" Scag tiger cat 2. The thing is a beast of a mower. Could I have made out with a mower that cost half as much? Absolutely. But when you cut with a commercial zero turn it is obvious why they cost as much as they do. And, my property is very rough which was a big factor in my decision making. If my land was smooth I would have gotten a Hustler raptor sd. But I like my internal organs, so spent the money on a much smoother riding mower.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob LawnSite Member

What motor did you get with the tiger cat 2?

10. swamp_stalker

It has the Kohler 29hp efi