1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

well, it's what he was asking, not how much a dealer was going to pay him if he bought a mower.

People unfamiliar with a process will ask questions so they feel like they're getting a fair deal. People want to know if a 10K mower really costs 10K everywhere. They want to know if they offer 6K for a mower they want, is it an offer that still allows profit margin for the dealer or if they're asking someone to work for free and then some. OR do they have to adjust their expectations because at 9500 the dealer is losing money. Doesn't hurt to ask questions.

Smokindog likes this.
  2. CorkyE

CorkyE LawnSite Member

Just a recent personal experience. I was shopping for a good residential ztr, not the cheapest I could find. I compared mowers, decided on what I wanted, then started comparing dealers against the big box stores. I wound up buying from a local dealer, for the same price as the big box stores.

Cam15 and rerod like this.
  3. Fhoward2

Fhoward2 LawnSite Member

I need some advice. I am getting back into lawn care and am currently looking at ztrs. A few of my options are a new Ferris is600z w/ 48" for $5,400, used Ferris is700z w/52" w/ 88 hrs for $5,000 or a new Ferris is600z w/ 52" for $5,700. New Ferris is700z w/52" is $6,400. The dealer also had a 400s but said it isn't really made for commercial even though they advertise them as commercial. Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

4. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

I have the IS600Z 25/48. Mine has ZT3400s. It's a beast imho. Do over would be a 52". I also believe the new ones have the ZT3200s. Still string Hydros. If you have a Simplicity dealer they are same as the Ferris, I originally was after a Champion XT (same as IS600) but found a left over IS600Z $5200 OTD. I bought it in January/February here in Michigan and picked it up in March.I like the suspension and the mower cuts well.

That IS700 52" with 88 hours, if its clean is a hell of a deal and would be tempting. Slightly larger frame. Bigger tires, motor. Folding ROPS (which I removed) You didn't say the year but you have dealer behind it less warranty. If its a clean 2017 or 2018 I would probably jump on it.

If you don't need the suspension then go Snapper.

5. LukeH1981

LukeH1981 LawnSite Member

Anyone know anything about the Big Dog Rex?

6. Captaingps65

Captaingps65 LawnSite Member
    from TX

Hi I have a swisher zt mower that needs hydrostatic Trans axle model number 778 left and right i’ve been looking every day for a month. Does anyone have the same problem or know where I can get them rebuilt or where I can buy new ones. I would appreciate any help thank you Mike

7. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried contacting Swisher directly?

8. tomnc

tomnc LawnSite Member

Hi everyone; in a bit of analysis paralysis in selecting a residential ZTR (prefer 48") for 1 acre (though may be getting more land, so want to keep that in mind). Flat with one dip area, would like to pull a thatcher or other lightweight tool a few times a year. I've heard people say it's mostly about the paint color on the lower-end. I've got my selection narrowed down based on dealer/location/price. The two are: Scag Liberty Z (or possibly a Freedom) or a Toro TimeCutter HD w/ MyRide.

The Toro is about $500 more and little above my 5k budget. Toro Engine, slightly more HP at 22.5, 3100 trans. MyRide. 3 year/300 hour warranty.

The Scag is well within budget, Kawasaki 21hp, 2800 trans. 5 year/750 hour warranty.

The Toro seems to have a bit more plastic, more operator comfort/adjustability; the Scag is a bit more of a tank -- seems focused on simplicity. I noticed little things like the Scag seat doesn't adjust quickly, though I am the only one using it so this isn't too important. Great warranty on the Scag, however, I believe the dealer said Toro covers all pickup/drop off for warranty work, and Scag does not (but if I buy from this dealer that might be waived as I'm pretty close by).

I can't realistically demo the Toro MyRide on my yard to know if it really matters, but my riding mower has been reasonably smooth.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

9. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Local parks department tried MyRide Toro's and the guys hated them. Too bouncy for them. They prefer the older non-myride Toro's. IMHO the TimeCutter will do the job but I would probably go with the Scag for the Kawasaki motor.

10. tomnc

tomnc LawnSite Member

Thank you! The MyRide was neat to try, but hard to tell if I'd like in day to day use on my property. While simpler overall, the Scag seems to have gotten very positive feedback overall.