Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. ccaprk0

ccaprk0 LawnSite Member

I am overwhelmed at all the mower options. I have 5 acres of hilly grash to cut, it is formerly a pasture the grass is decent but not golf course quality (yet!). I have talked to a few dealers and are going to more soon. Right now what I like best is a grasshopper 328 G4. It has a 810cc vanguard and chevron tires. It looks to be a wellbuilt mower but not really any suspension. I know I am only mowing one property so I don't need all day comfort. Any one have any thoughts on this mower? I don't see much chatter about Grasshoppers...

2. icemanrrc

icemanrrc LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner and have about 1 acre of grass. I’ve narrowed down my choices to the 42” Exmark Quest and the new 42” Toro timecutter 75744. I know that Toro owns Exmark. Either way, both mowers have the same engine, warranty, 10 gauge fabricated deck, tires, hydros, etc.
    I can’t decide between the two. My dealer sells both brands, so I’ve have looked at both mowers sitting side by side. The Exmark is $100 more. The Toro looks like a nicer mower. Nicer seat, and other cosmetic things. Honestly, if the Quest didn’t have Exmark decals on it, I’m not sure if it would even be a difficult decision. Is there anything I should consider between the two? I don’t want to get the Exmark just because of the brand name, which is kind of where I’m at. But I don’t want to overlook anything that I haven’t considered or knew about the Exmark either.

3. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

I believe my dealer told me their the same mower. The exmark will have a higher resale value because of the name. You can't go wrong with either mower.

icemanrrc likes this.
  4. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know either mower specs, but both look fine. Get the one you want to ride :) I wouldn't consider re-sale value really. You're going to cut your grass with it for quite a number of years before you're likely going to be looking at upgrading and by then it's not going to be worth much anyway. At least the value of either 8-10 years from now is going to be the same so get what you think is the better ride of the engine and build seems similar.

icemanrrc, Cam15 and Smokindog like this.
  5. segbert

segbert LawnSite Member

I've had bad luck with breaking the frame on Craftsman mowers for the past 13 years. They have always replaced it under warranty, but this time I am out of warranty and am looking for a robust mower that can handle 3 acres of lawn with steep hills and bumpy terrain. I'm sure that's what did the Craftsman mowers in - the rough terrain. There are a lot of flat areas too (over 2 of the acres are on flat terrain). I'm pretty open to any ideas and can manage a budget up to $7000 or so if needed. Like everything else, I'd rather spend less, but I want a mower that won't break on me after 3 years. I'm really at a loss at what I should be looking at. I've been told that the zero turns aren't so great on slopes, but I've never used one either and I see guys around here mowing steep slopes with them all the time. I am guessing that the slopes I am mowing are 30 degrees, possibly higher in some areas, but they aren't long slopes - 20 feet max.

6. icemanrrc

icemanrrc LawnSite Member

I ended up going with the Exmark over the Toro. The dealer took off $100 off of the Exmark making it the exact same price. Honestly, I wished I would have went with the Toro. I’m kicking myself now. The Toro was a nicer mower. I guess I went with name recognition. Don’t get me wrong. The Exmark is a great mower, but for a homeowner like me, the Toro has more features and just looks like a nicer mower. I guarantee you if you took random people who aren’t brand familiar with either and parked both mowers side by side, I bet you they would all say the Toro was the more premium mower.

Cam15 likes this.
  7. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

I think a zero turn would suit you fine. I'd check out ferris or john deere with tweels. If you like the idea of a stand on mower, go check out the wright stander B or Bradley mowers. I don't know what kind of dealers you have near you....

8. TLow

TLow LawnSite Member

Hello, I've never used a ZTR or riding mower so I don't have any experience to know what I should buy for this yard. I want a ZTR, but is it best for this yard? I'm asking because of the slopes. I figured the steepest one around the back of the pool (where you see the fence on left and brush on right) I would use a push mower. But are the other slopes fine for a ZTR? Is getting between the deck and pool fine on a ZTR? Or am I better off getting a regular riding mower?

Also, I've been looking at ZTR's in the $3000 range.

IMG_20200408_113044760_HDR.jpg IMG_20200408_113122986_HDR.jpg IMG_20200408_113200968.jpg IMG_20200408_151250469_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  9. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

Looks to me, you could easily get a ztr on atleast two out of the three hills. I'd look at the toro my ride 50in. The price is 3800.....

TLow likes this.
  10. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. A ZTR would easily work on that property. The slope behind the pool doesn't look bad either.

TLow and Cam15 like this.