1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. TLow

TLow LawnSite Member

Thanks. Good to hear, I'll probably be ordering a ZTR tomorrow.

Also I measured the hills and came up with -
    15.6 degrees near deck
    24.7 degrees back of pool
    13.5 degrees on the other hill.
    (I'm spending way too much time on this lol)

The Toro My Ride looks great with the extra suspension, but I was looking at some of the cheaper models. The ones I've narrowed it down to are -

Ariens Ikon XD 23-HP 52" $3099
    or
    Toro 50" TimeCutter $3099

There is also a similar Toro MX5050 for $2999 with a 24.5 hp Toro motor. More hp and larger tires. I think maybe this is just an older model for $100 less. Perhaps newer model is better though.

Also there is an Ariens Edge 21.5 hp for $2899. Not sure if 1.5 less hp will make much of a difference? There are probably other differences between the Edge and Ikon but I haven't fully researched that yet.

First I want to choose between Toro and Ariens. Then which of the models.

A few differences -

The Toro doesn't have a hour meter, Ariens does. I guess this doesn't matter much but for maintenance such as oil changes etc. or if I ever sell it that could be an issue. How do you track your hours for maintenance?

Ariens doesn't have the mower washout fitting, where Toro does. Does this work good on your Toro? How important is this feature to you?

Thanks,
    Tom

Cam15 likes this.
  2. icemanrrc

icemanrrc LawnSite Member

Have the dealer add the hour meter. There’s already a precut place for it. Or, buy the meter, and do it yourself. Shouldn’t take you 10 minutes. It’s easy to do.

Cam15 and TLow like this.
  3. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

Regarding the "24.7 degrees back of pool", if you don't have a ditch or water at the bottom of the hill, you could mow up & down instead of side to side. Go slow down and don't mow wet or damp - you might slide.

Here is the best hour meter.
    https://tinytach.com/gasoline-tinytach

Cam15 and TLow like this.
  4. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Backside of pool I would mow with a push mower or landscape it and not mow it. Mowing it if wet out or early morning dew is on the grass would be a concern. Almost lost my ZTR on one with a steep grade 1000 lb mower on a slide is no fun. Lot of mowers out there that would work for you at $3K. I would opt for the Ariens XD.

Cam15, Heinz W and TLow like this.
  5. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

I would not mow up and down. You flip it it's all over. Side to side your more likely to just slide.

6. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

I like toro, I'm sure arians is fine as well. As far as the washout feature, I've never had good luck with it. Just jack up the mower once a year and scrape it out. Horse power never hurts, but in your case any of those three will do fine.

7. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Toro commercial are fine but the residential are underwhelming. I would avoid the Timecutter and the Loncin spec built motor. Ariens I believe has the Kawasaki and even tho I'm not a big fan of those, imho they are better then the off shore spec built.

TLow likes this.
  8. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree as does my dealer. You can get Kawasaki on the timecutter if you don't like it anyways.

9. TLow

TLow LawnSite Member

This particular Toro TimeCutter I'm looking at has a Kawasaki engine. I believe it is the same Kawasaki FR691 as in the Ariens Ikon XD. I think I'm going with the Ariens, but the Toro is in an extremely close 2nd. Its almost a coin toss. I'll post again after I've made my decision and bought one.

Cam15 likes this.
  10. icemanrrc

icemanrrc LawnSite Member

I’m not sure where you got that info or why you feel that way but that brand engine is the same engine they put in the Exmarks. What is exactly underwhelming about the Toro Timecutter?

Cam15 likes this.