Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the saga continues.....moderator, if anyone objects to the word homey, please just delete that word, but leave the thread, thank you. ok, im at a customers house cutting, and the neighbor comes over, "great job over here, can u evaluate mine?" im like sure. i suggest this and that, he wants weekly cutting, i start right then and there.i tell him he will get his paperwork(contract) in the mail, he needs to send it in right away. no problem he says. well, i cut twice. never recieved the signed contract. i call, he says im soo sorry, i left it on my desk at work, ill get it to you. month comes to an end, still nothing. i send the bill, requesting payment and signed contract. nothing. i stop service. he calls, "why is my neighbor cut, and not me?" im like, i need my $ plus the contract. he says ill leave it for you taped to the mailbox, the contract, plus the check, fine. i go over, i see the envelope on the mailbox, i pill it off, throw it in the truck, and cut the lawn. about an hour later while driving i open the envelope, get this. THERE IS NOTHING IN IT! just a piece of paper saying he didnt understand the dates i billed him for! sneaky little %$$$#. so, today i go over, flames comming out of my ears, i want my money! will u continue service if i give u a check? nope, pay up! but i want continued service, nope! pay up! we go back and fourth, i tell him ok, ill cut right now, pay me for the bill i sent you, he says ok. he writes a check, and the dates it is for(not today, this is for past due). i take the check, tell him to kiss my azz, get in the truck and drive away. he calls, says come back and cut the lawn, or im putting a stop on the check. question: if he puts a stop on the check, is he in trouble? he himself wrote the dates on the check that it was for, it is for the month of june, and one in early july. i have a bill that i sent certified to match the dates that he wrote on the check. if he stops payment, what do i do?he obviously thought he would string me along by witholding monies owed, but i wasnt gonna let it happen.

·
Banned
473 Posts
If he puts a stop-payment on the check, you can take it to court and get paid...no doubt the judge would rule in your favor...my policy for new clients is we don't do ANYTHING until we get a check first...after that, payment after competed work is fine...with that policy, most of the time you'll weed out the dead-beats...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd cash that check as soon as possible! If it is not good, I'd have him in court tomorrow! I can't believe he called back after you told him to kiss your #$%.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
You should have cashed the check first, then told him off. Or tell him that he must pay in advance.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would take the check to HIS bank to cash it. This way, if he doesn't have sufficient funds in his account to cover it, you'll know right away, and not have a hassle at your bank.

I would get to the bank ASAP.

I would drop this guy like a bad habit until you get paid.

Another more sinister idea...

Maybe he would enjoy a 2" cut on his lawn...clippings everywhere...his grass would probably die, then he wouldn't demand your services as much. I know, bad idea, bad business practice, but a good thought anyway.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Man, that SUX. Sounds like theft to me. Why not call the District Attorney's office - hot check division - and ask them what to do? They will be happy to help, I'm sure. I would charge him the full overdue amount, late fees, and a bad check fee.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
How can one man make up so many crazy threads for us all to buy into:alien: ? Could any of you possibly operate a SUCCESSFUL business w/ as many "problematic" clientele or as man bazaar stories as this one and others??

I truely think this guy is writing a book - Landscaping for dummies.

Just MHO

·
Registered
305 Posts
The customer probably isn't confused on the dates, we had a customer pull that same thing. It is a ploy to buy more time without paying.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If it was me and I was talking about $100.00, give or take, I would write it iff as a lesson learned. If it is a lot more than that, then I would fight for the money. Sometimes it is better to let it go.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
grassyfrass, the guy was jerkin me. he knew what dates he was being billed for, prior to my raging visit, we sent a certified letter with a bill. he never once questioned the dates. he was trying to "hold my money hostage". its the oldest trick in the book. what they do is, keep it so they always owe u money, now this is supposed to keep u comming back, cus u want to be paid for the work that u did before, and they arent paying you. most of the time when t5hey are pulling this stunt, they will not mail a check, rather give it to you when u come by to cut, this ensures them that u will be by to cut, and they can always have u on the leash. example: u cut the month of may, they dont pay the bill till the end of june, somewhere around the 3rd week in june, they tell u when u come by to cut, they will leave the check out, for the month of may. this way, they are always up on you, u keep going back cus at this point they owe you for the whole month of may, plus a couple of cuts in june. ive been there, done that, this guy wasnt gettin away with it. and turfdude, are u picking on me AGAIN? i been in business a long time dude, if u havnt been exposed to these kind of customers, u r very fortunate. around here its very common, people try to smoke u all the time, u just have to be a step ahead of them, and u wont get burned. and....i dont work 3 hrs a day, i work between 4 and 5, and do quite well . when your time is limited you learn to economize it properly. rod, have u had this happen? and how did it turn out.?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would have told him that after the first cut I could not continue services without the signed contract. At this point you have no contract, so if he does stop the payment and you go to court, he very well may say that he paid you to do things you did not do and that is why he stopped payment. The court may side with him.

I would have taken his check immediately to the bank, but of course if he made it out to your company name they probably would not have cashed it for you anyway.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.