1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

honda engine always leaking???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by henri4207, Sep 24, 2006.

1. henri4207

henri4207 LawnSite Member

I have 2 toro 21" with honda motors. One is a year old and the other is 6 months old. Both motors leak out of the bottom of the dipstick tube. I have replaced both seals on the bottom, but they still leak just enough leave a little mess. It is barely leaking, but like I said, just enough to be a pest....any suggestions???

THANKS!!!

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

that can be a problem area for a lot of engines. i would suggest you remove the tube and o-ring. then with Brakleen degrease the tube, o-ring and bore where the tube fits. reinstall the o-ring add a small layer of red rtv silicone around the o-ring and reinstall. sometimes this works.

3. GearHead_1

GearHead_1 LawnSite Member
    from Utah

khouse's advice is correct. Sometimes the O-Rings get old and lose their elasticity and just need to be replaced. One thing I might add is to put a slight downward pressure on the fill tube when tightening the support. This is a real problem on Tecumseh's products, Briggs sees it as well.