1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

honda engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by conwaymower, Feb 11, 2004.

1. conwaymower

conwaymower LawnSite Member

I think I am going to buy a Yazoo/Kees 61" with a 24 hp Honda. Has any one had experience with this engine?

2. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

I've been asking about this engine also. Try searching this forum for honda engines it might help. Is it new or used I'm looking at an '02 w over a thosand hours and it runs like a drem, but I'm like you lots of questions. I have heard that parts are long coming when something does go down. The drain plug is usually in some real hard to reach spot, but you can use a siphon system OR simply screw a fitting onto a piece of tubing and route it where you can get to it easy. Other than that I think they are probably good motors.

3. conwaymower

conwaymower LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I just know I am tired of the Briggs and Kohlers I have had. I want a Kawasaki or Honda. The only thing I have heard about the Honda from a sells rep was when transporting it has a tendency to flood. I personally don't believe this.

4. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

My dealer has 3 '02 Dixie's w/22hp honda's on 60" decks. All stated right up in cold garage last week after not having been run since Nov. I am thinking of buying one they have from 13-1700 hrs. but like I said they start up and run smooth as a baby's ...Don't think I will pass for $4300. The Kees new or used?

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got several mowers with Honda motors along with push blowers etc.... If at all possible I will always try but equipment with Honda motors, imo I think they are the best. I am a big supporter of Honda equipment. Downside: they are more expensive and parts are a little harder to get.

6. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

How many hrs. on mowers and what kind? If you don't mind.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

usually, I consider Honda as one of the top engines to buy...usually

8. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

Can you tell me who still uses them on their comm ZTR's?

9. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

In my ag class at high school, Honda sent us a blown 22hp or 24hp that was on a generator (one of the kids dads worked for Honda, no way we woulda got our hands on this if the school had to pay for it). It was a really solid design from the inside out. I dont recal what caused it to give out. I have experince with the actual operation of these, but from the inside it appeared to be light years ahead of kohler and briggs. Just my 2 cents.

10. Premium Services

Premium Services LawnSite Member

Scag has a 52inch tiger cub with a 24hp honda