Honda GC160 Fuel System Repair

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Carolina Cuttin' Company, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Carolina Cuttin' Company LawnSite Member

Hi. I'm working on repairing an MTD Yard Machine 21A-395A129 (front-tined tiller) with a Honda GC160 engine. This is my winter project and, since I'm in SC, I need to be gearing up for business in February and getting out there in March. I wanted to have the tiller ready to use for my vegetable garden as well. I've put fuel in the air intake and the tiller will start and then sputter out. Putting different amounts of fuel in the intake did affect how long the tiller ran. I've replaced the carb and confirmed that the fuel filter and lines work fine. I'm going to try replacing the fuel pump. If that doesn't work, what's left to try? I'm fairly confident that the problem is in the fuel system.

Some extra info: I've done landscape maintenance for another guy and am trying to start my own business. Being a small business with very little income, (I started in September. Not the best time to do that, even in SC.), I'm trying to do as much repair on my equipment as I can, but I have virtually no experience.

Also, I included the model number on the tiller because I have noticed that GC160s at least are assembled slightly differently depending on the machine they are on.

-Ian T. Bristol (Owner)
    Carolina Cuttin' Company

2019-01-07 09.18.41.jpg

2019-01-07 09.19.32.jpg

2019-01-07 09.18.31.jpg

2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Gold Member

Check to ensure that the fuel tank is vented properly. You should have a pulse style fuel pump as shown on page 53 of the service manual linked below. I would disconnect the fuel line at the carb and start the engine with some fuel in the intake as you did previously to see if the pump is putting anything out. If no fuel comes out, I would check that the pulse line from the engine to the pump is not cracked or clogged and that the vent screen on the pump is not clogged. If the line and screen check out, I would pull the line off of the engine and feel for a pulse at the fitting on the engine by putting some gas in the intake as before. If you can feel a pulse at the fitting, the fuel pump is not operational.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1054104/Honda-Gc160.html?page=53&term=Pump&selected=11

Doc8406, That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  3. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Thanks! I'll try that. I'll be saving that website too.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Carolina Cuttin' Company

I haven't gotten around to looking at the fuel pump, but I had a thought. I have replaced some of the fuel lines because they were dry-rotted. The new lines were a good bit longer (I can explain why, but it doesn't seem worth posting right now.) Would this cause problems? I've tried to start it enough times in a row that I would think I would have gotten fuel all the way through them if that was the problem.

5. Walker56

Should not cause an issue. Remember, there is feed to the inlet of the pump from the tank. The pulse line does not care and the outlet should be able to pump a lenght of hose, unless it is extremely long, flow might be affected. Remember to check for goid fuel fliw to the pump inlet. Check the fuel tank vent.

Doc8406 and hort101 like this.
  6. Carolina Cuttin' Company

OK. So:

Problem confined to fuel system.
    >Carb replaced and confirmed to work.
    >Carb gaskets replaced and confirmed to work.
    >Fuel lines replaced and confirmed to work.
    >Fuel pump replaced and confirmed to work.
    >Fuel filter not replaced, but confirmed to work.

The engine still won't start unless fuel is put into the air intake and then in only runs for a couple seconds, depend on how much fuel I give it.

WHAT'S LEFT TO FIX!?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I am going to take it over to my old boss and he's going to double check my work. As of right now, he's as baffled as I am.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Walker56

Did you check for pulse at the engine and fuel at the outlet of the pump as I had suggested?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    hort101 likes this.
  8. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you cracked the bowl nut or drain to verify the bowl is filled with gas ? If no gas, the needle could be stuck to the seat.
    All the intake gaskets/spacers intact? Valves adjusted ?
    Was it a new carb or used ? When not running the gov. should hold the carbs throttle lever fully open, does it?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    hort101 likes this.
  9. Walker56

Please post back what you find as the cause of your fuel delivery issue.

hort101 likes this.
  10. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Yes.

I'll look into that.

Will do.