Honda GCV 190 surges

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
The engine has began surging lately and will not keep running at lower engine speeds. It does not do this when the blades are engaged. It runs fine but worried it may be and indicator of other things to come.

JimQ

LawnSite Bronze Member
You got some gunk in the carb. Either take it apart and try to clean it or just hang a new one on there. Those GCV carbs are cheap!

Q

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
just hang a new one on there. Those GCV carbs are cheap!

Q

#1 answer. ^^^^^^^

For $24 bux, Ain't worth go'n in one.....

OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Gas is fresh. Will try the air filter.

Herler,
Mine has auto choke, does that mean bigger $'s?

ilike2mow

LawnSite Bronze Member
You got some gunk in the carb. Either take it apart and try to clean it or just hang a new one on there. Those GCV carbs are cheap!

Q

A lot of times I have found to just replace the carburetor is easier because those small engine carbs can be tricky to get working well. I have just replaced a few carburetors because they won't run well even after cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner and then rebuilding.

Ditta&Sons

LawnSite Bronze Member
have you tried the seafoam treatment sprayed right into the open carb?

I had the same problem, surging while not under load. I did the seafoam treatment, adjusted the throttle cable and finally replaced the air filter. Problem went away

olajoe808

LawnSite Member
seems like carb. high side good, low side stumble. Should be able to pull the low side that and the etube may as well pull the highside too. Seafoam, compressed air careful with the oring. if you pulling it completely off may as well set the float height.

But before doing any of this, check for air leaks. the air intake might just be clogged, and intake manifold check that too.

Top Forums