1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda GCV160 engine tapping noise

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DAN83111, Jun 26, 2020.

1. DAN83111

DAN83111 LawnSite Member

Hi, not sure what this tapping noise is? Notice you can only hear it on the exhaust side, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. It runs perfectly at the right RPM, its just that noise.

2. OP
    OP
    DAN83111

DAN83111 LawnSite Member

Tapping/ popping sound

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Have you checked the valve adjustment ?

4. OP
    OP
    DAN83111

DAN83111 LawnSite Member

Does it probably just need a valve adjustment in your opinion?

5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Adjust 'em and go from there, right ?

DAN83111 and hort101 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    DAN83111

DAN83111 LawnSite Member

Ok, so I adjusted the valves, they were really bad. They were completely tightened down as in no play what so ever. I used Permatek Ultra Black Gasket Maker and have been running it all day and no leaks. I even gave the valve cover a prime & paint.
    So the tapping sound is more or less gone, the sound is even all the way around now, not really pronounced on one side but I notice that it doesnt seem to run as smooth as I would like. When I take it off choke it kinda surges for a little bit before it finds its normal revving and even then its kinda not that smooth, not too bad though.
    What do you guys think on how it is running now? Is there anything I could do to make it run a bit smoother?
    Btw, I recently took the carburetor off and completely cleaned every bit of it, including removing the pilot screw and cleaning in there. I completely screwed it back in and then backed it off exactly 4 turns (which I believe is correct?), which is exactly where it is set at the moment. The Oil was just changed and the spark plug was only recently replaced. Also the RPM ranges from 3080-3155 currently. Does the carb need a better clean, is something still blocked? There is a ripped gasket behind the carb but is only torn near where the bolt hole is, but it is aligned perfectly, I dont think that would really be the issue, could it?
    Here is the video of how its running now:

7. OP
    OP
    DAN83111

DAN83111 LawnSite Member

Btw, the choke is just a manual one where you just put the throttle all the way in to put the choke on and just back off the throttle a tiny bit to take choke off.

8. OP
    OP
    DAN83111

DAN83111 LawnSite Member

I have another mower with the same engine and nearly the same age and use and it runs very smoothly. It immediately revs normal when you take it out of choke which is why I'm wondering if there are any hints or tricks or something I could do to get this one running as smoothly? Or is it just because this one is a bit old it is doing that and there is not much I can really do??