Honda GXV 340 hill operation

slitaly

LawnSite Member
Hi I am building a tracked remote controlled slope mower and the donor engine is a Honda GXV240 GJ02 sn. 6021704 ( I,m converting a 1999 Billy Goat that I never used ) I need to come up for mods to increase operation angle . I looked inside the engine and it appears to have the oil pump sending oil to a nozzle above the crank throw and a port up into the valve guides . I was thinking about putting an oil accululator on the oil pressure line with the necessary check valve to the pump so I would have some additional time on the slope but it looks like this system would have little oil pressure . Does anyone know what the oil pressure is as I cannot find it in any honda manual . Perhaps someone has some other ideas to increase the operational angle ?
Thanks
steve

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
If the motor has the 2 different oil fill plugs I wonder if you could pipe in a reservoir into them below the motor somehow so that when the motor is tipped at an angle there will be extra oil for the motor.
These motors have a low oil pressure switch that will kill the motor if it gets starved for oil, maybe do some testing with running the motor at the expected angle and see if it shuts off this may not be a problem at all.

OP
S

slitaly

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the suggestion ,my engine has no low oil system (its old) , the additional oil tank sounds good I have 1 oil drain in the oil fill tube I could put in a T but I am afraid when tilting it in that direction all the oil would go there out of the engine , I will try and figure out how to let the oil supply the engine from the tank but not draining it away when tilting .
Thanks

Top Forums