1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

honda hrc216 backfires at full throttle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bladeheart, Apr 5, 2007.

1. bladeheart

bladeheart LawnSite Member

Hello,

My Honda hrc 216 backfires at full throttle. It will run, at full throttle although it will backfire constantly. At low idle it sounds perfect. I have changed the gas, and put a spare spark plug in it as well. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple of things to check(valve adjustment, weak exhaust valve spring, deposit built up on valve and or guide) I would suspect your issue happens at higher RPMS and not idle because the valve cannot close fast enough.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

4. bladeheart

Here is an update, I bought an new ngk spark plug and it completely quit. The thing only has maybe 25-35 hours on it. I can't believe that it quit just like that with a new plug. Also the original plug looked great.

5. bryand47

bryand47 LawnSite Member

I had similar symptoms on my Honda GXV340.
    Mixture was leaning out at high revs because of a flake of muck in the main jet. It ran fine at idle but couldn't get enough juice as the revs went up.
    Might be worth a quick look.

6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Did you put the old plug back in to see if the "quitting" problem is a bad new plug? It might be coincidence (since it WAS already acting up) or???

7. bladeheart

I will try just to see, btw its still running strong!

8. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the engine quit:)