1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda HRR216K9VKAA Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Derwood, May 3, 2020.

1. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering what any of you do with your Honda mowers as they age.

Mine has worked flawlessly for the last 4 years, and has been perfect so far this year in terms of how it runs. But it's starting to show some wear (all 4 wheels seem to be tilted outward like their shafts are bent, and the wheels are all balled of course - not that that really matters. But are those signs that other things might let go soon? It cuts great. Looks like it's in decent shape other than it looks like it isn't sitting level (maybe it's not lol). The engine has started on pull number 1 all season, every time. I'm thinking I just keep banging away with it. But thought I should ask others who use one. Do you guys get rid of yours before they start failing in other ways (I've heard about transmissions on these things failing, for example). Or do you run it till it dies, and then just buy a new one?

Before a full blown commercial 21 is suggested, I cannot go with one of those, or a traditional larger walk behind. These smaller 21's are a good fit for my smaller operation. It rides in the truck bed when I'm towing my trailer (no room on the trailer) so I need something light enough to lift up/down by myself.

Just curious what others do :)

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  2. Capt J-rod

Capt J-rod LawnSite Member

I run them for five years. Fix as needed. That is how long I can depreciate them on the books. Once they are off the books, I order up new. I was hesitant on the nexite plastic deck, but now I'm sold. Honda has earned it's place on all of my small equipment... Generator, trash pump, plate tamper, power washer, and snow blower. They always start and run forever.

3. OP
    OP
    Derwood

Good to know. I guess I really gotta figure out exactly when I bought this thing. I think I got it my second year in the biz.... which would be about 4-5 years ago.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Adjust the valves and clean out fuel bowl.

Capt J-rod likes this.
  5. Capt J-rod

Capt J-rod LawnSite Member

Just a heads up @Derwood... If you don't have a sharp accountant then you better find one. With my lines of work being rental property, maintenance, and HVAC, my accountant is my VIP. She keeps everything straight and provides me a list of equipment in a spread sheet. We keep track of repairs and timelines. I know which equipment is completely written off and how much is left. If something fails entirely like a mower, stove, or refrigerator before the 5 years are up I can write off the remaining depreciation in that year and start the new one. There is a BUTTLOAD of money to be made in the paperwork side of the business. You also write off all of your accounting fees. If you don't have good books then you are busting your ass in the field every day and losing money at night. A sharp one-man show can make as much money as a sloppy 6 man show with WAY fewer headaches. I almost sold out everything and took a 9-5 before I switched accountants and found all of the slop. Accountants are like sub contractors... If you don't know how, or don't have the time, PAY someone to do it and do it right! Finally accountants are like mechanics... Just because they wear the shirt and say they're good, doesn't mean they are a master of their trade.

hort101 and Derwood like this.
  6. mstrat

mstrat LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

100% agree that there's money in the accountant!

7. OP
    OP
    Derwood

I'll have to look into that a little more.

8. theltz81

theltz81 LawnSite Member

I had mine for 10 years with minimal maint. and no issues (weekly homeowner use of course) until year ten when the belts started having issues. It would have gone longer with belt change and such but I just upgraded to the hrx because of the hydro drive.

9. OP
    OP
    Derwood

Might have lost the transmission on this mower, today. Back left wheel has locked up. I haven't had a chance to look it over yet. But if I do need to replace the transmission, any idea who much they cost? How difficult of a job is it???

10. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Silver Member

Wrong answer.