1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Honda HRX timing belt issues?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Prime, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Prime

Prime LawnSite Member

I have been using hrx lawn mowers for most of 10 years now, no serious issues, normal maintenance. I run them to 6-700 hours and sell them and replace. Last fall when preparing my mower for storage, oil change and cleanup, I hit an issue. After finishing up I decided to stat the engine one last time. Engine started for maybe 2 seconds then I could not restart. Checked everything I could think of and found nothing. So I take it to the dealer. Im told the timing belt needs to be replaced.... at a cost of +$350. estimated. Wow this engine has only 140 hours on it. (I put hour meters on all my gear) This is virtually a new mower. I have yet to get the mower back so Im not sure of the exact cost of this repair. Is anyone else having trouble with honda timing belts? I really like honda mowers on my 6th HRX but this may move me to change over to another brand.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well learning something i didn't know they had timing belt? I have seen them break off shear key affecting timing.

3. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Jersey

Where is the timing belt? the only belt I see is the one that is above the blades, and is turned by the mower engine and goes to the transmission.
    I could never get transmissions on these to last much more than a year and the dealer wanted about $350 to replace the trans. ( I do not know why font has changed either)

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Sounds like a new engine price not a repair price.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

7. Prime

Prime LawnSite Member

i never gave it much thought until it failed.

8. Prime

Prime LawnSite Member

I think what happened is it came off at the top. The engine didnt really start. It fired a couple times and quit. Seems it fired as the belt was rolling off. Had it broke while running it probably would not be repairable.

9. Prime

Prime LawnSite Member

Trannys have never been an issue. I change the oil in them at about 300 hours.

10. Prime

Prime LawnSite Member

Mower is back from the dealer. Replaced timing belt $357. Nasty. Apparently due to the design the engine it has to be removed and tore down to replaced the belt and re time. about 5 hrs labor so im told. Had the mower been any older a repair would not have made any sense at all. Hopefully I get another 600+ hours from the mower.