1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Honda Mower Trouble

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by TyWebb, Aug 7, 2003.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb LawnSite Member

I've really enjoyed my new Honda mower, however recently my friend and I sharpened the blades and now its doing the most peculiar thing. Every other row I'm leaving a "mohawk" trail that the blade just seems to be missing. I took the blades off and had them checked at a local shop and they said they were sharp and balanced. Has anyone else had this problem. These are the quadracut blades.

2. Catcher

Catcher LawnSite Member

Not familiar with Honda mowers or quadracut blades, since you refer to the blades in plural I am assuming you have more than one blade. If this is the case, it would appear that one side cuts slightly higher than the other - giving you the 'mohawk' effect.
    Check to make sure the deck is level.
    Check to see if there are any washers between the blades and spindle-mounts. Perhaps one side has a different size or amout of washers than the other side.
    I would give everything a good looking over to see where the difference in height comes from.
    Wish I could be more specific, but as I mentioned - I am not familiar with this set-up.
    Good luck.

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Which Honda mower do you have?

4. TyWebb

TyWebb LawnSite Member

I have the Harmony II.

5. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Make sure blades are not bent - I have owned a Honda rider before - Engine was great (13 h Lig cooled) but the deck was crap. make sure deck is not bent - that was a problem with mine, deck would bend if you looked at it hard

6. TyWebb

TyWebb LawnSite Member

Actually, I figured it out last night. Turns out with these "mulching" double blades if you don't cut the grass often enough it has a hard time doing an "even" job. I decided to try mowing a couple times a week and that seems to have corrected the problem.