Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going? My John Deere 14sb is slowly dying.. lol its been with me from the very beginning. I am looking into getting a Honda HRX217HXA. I will generally be putting about 10-12 a week on this mower. It will be used for 90% Bagging. (im sure i can put it on 2 notches so it still puts down some grass) Anyways.. Do you think this mower will hold up? If im going to be spending 700.00 on a 21'' it better last me more than 2 seasons. I will change the oil and spark plug 3 times per season. The blade clutch is a must. (which it comes with) With a 6.5 HP engine, i think it should do just fine. The hydrostatic trans should be nice too. I think they have this model at the Home Depot. I can allways buy it there and be assured that if it breaks within 2 years that i would get my money back. So what do you think?

·
Registered
98 Posts
best and worst mower ive ever had no lie the thing mulches like a champ and flies but its big heavy but not heavy duty my drive cable broke 5 times in a year and they are a pain in the ass to fix. also my magneto went twice 75 a pop. dont buy it, not at all dependable. since then i bought the 2 cycle toro commericial and i love it i just wish i did not spend so much on that honda i hope i can get 400 for it ive got over 1100 in to it now.

·
Registered
453 Posts
mine works perfectly. Had it almost a year, it went about 20 hours a week for about 16 weeks last season, it currently gets about 5 hours a week.
roughly 420 hours and no problems. Never changed the plug, air filter, or fuel filter. I've changed the oil 2 times.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Stringblade said:
best and worst mower ive ever had no lie the thing mulches like a champ and flies but its big heavy but not heavy duty my drive cable broke 5 times in a year and they are a pain in the ass to fix. also my magneto went twice 75 a pop. dont buy it, not at all dependable. since then i bought the 2 cycle toro commericial and i love it i just wish i did not spend so much on that honda i hope i can get 400 for it ive got over 1100 in to it now.
The Hrx is not a comm. mower and shouldnt not be compared to comm. machines.

Strinblade ~ You need a different dealer to buy your parts from!! That magneto doesnt list for anything near $75! I wouldnt sell it for Honda's list price either, but damn! you got ripped! Ill let you know what Hondas MSRP is for it. Ready? $15.39

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If you are already planning on spending $700, why not just go all the way and get a commercial 21" for something that will really last a long time?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I looked at these a few months ago at the Honda dealer and compared this to the "commercial" model. I don't have the catalog in front of me but basically the only difference between them is the wheels and stronger mounts for the handle. Oh and $500+! The dealer pointed this out to me. Just because it is available at HD doesn't mean it isn't a excellent mower. It just so happens it is about $50 cheaper there than at the dealer for the exact same model. I give my 21" to my mother in law last month so as soon as I have a use again for a 21" I will go get one too.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
CutNLawns said:
I looked at these a few months ago at the Honda dealer and compared this to the "commercial" model. I don't have the catalog in front of me but basically the only difference between them is the wheels and stronger mounts for the handle. Oh and $500+! The dealer pointed this out to me. Just because it is available at HD doesn't mean it isn't a excellent mower. It just so happens it is about $50 cheaper there than at the dealer for the exact same model. I give my 21" to my mother in law last month so as soon as I have a use again for a 21" I will go get one too.
Think you better go get your brochure and take another look! EVERYTHING is different from the HRX to the comm. HRC!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PTP said:
If you are already planning on spending $700, why not just go all the way and get a commercial 21" for something that will really last a long time?
So what commercial Model from honda would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Petr51488 said:
So what commercial Model from honda would you recommend?
As far as I know, Honda makes only 1 self-propelled commercial mower - HRC216HXA. I know others who have been very happy with them.

Myself, I use the Toro Commercial 21" with the 6.5 Kaw engine. I have been pleased with it. They have serviced over 1000 properties this year and the only problem was a broken cable on one machine.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The one thing I like about Honda's are their engines.. They can't be beat in my opinion. What do you think about the john deere jx75? It has just about the same features as honda does. The only difference are the engines.. One is a kawi and the other is obviously a honda. What do you think?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't think I could ever service 25+ props. a day pushing up on the drive bar :dizzy:

However, if you don't do that many I hear they're great mowers. I demo'd the HRC this past week and loved everything but the handlebar. With toro, you're hands never leave their position the entire time.

Let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
I don't know if you will find a better bagging machine than Honda and I thought that was most important item for you. There is another thread on the Honda commerical units, there are a few problems with the latest entries. The actuating bar will not be a problem long term you will develop the muscle to hold it in place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We changed over a whole fleet of Toros to Honda HRC216HXAs and have been seriously disappointed. Not with the performance or quality of cut, but with durability and reliability. They are a little heavier and more cumbersome than the Toros but that's not a big deal. The 5 bent cranks in 3 months is a HUGE issue. If Honda doesn't step up soon we will be changing the fleet again. There have been some smaller issues as well, like the tabs that hold the bags on continuously bend and then break off and you can no longer bag. Good thing we've got a welder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honda Master series is still made. Only $100 more than a HRX. They have commercial GXV engines and Hydro trans, and aluminum deck.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Honda no longer makes the Masters. What ever the dealer has is all that can be bought! They may have some 3 speeds lift, but I think the Hydro's were sold out in March.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.