Honest Opinion of Badboy???

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
For those that have actually run Badboy in your business, not just using on one larger property, what are your honest thoughts? I searched the forums and see posts here and there, but I need help making a decision.

I have been using Exmark for years. My mower now is a 2018 Radius X. It has the Kawasaki FX691 and 3400 hydros. This mower isn't top commercial grade, as I know. But I have over 800 hours on it with no issues. A new Radius X is $8000 now. I plan to keep mine, but its time for another mower.

I was looking at the Badboy Outlaw 48". The list price is over $8000, I believe, but Badboy has the deal where if you buy 2 units of any kind, you get 26% off both. I need another push mower anyway. If I take advantage of that deal the 48" Outlaw will be just over $6100 and the push mower, just under $1000.

The Outlaw comes with the same FX691 engine and the 3400 Hydros, same as my radius. After walking around the unit yesterday I don't see anything that screams run far away from it or anything. The dealer is close to me, and I like this dealer. The Exmark dealer isn't too much further, and I have no issue with them ether. Should I save the $2000 for what appears to be the same quality mower or stick with Exmark. If I go up to the Lazer Z E series mower it goes on up to $10,000. So, I would probably go back with another Radius X if I stay with Exmark.

Looking for honest opinions from those that actually have used them daily in the business as to what problems you have or what you do or don't like about them. Is Exmark radius worth $2000 more really?

I am not against the Rebel, but I can barely get my 52" Exmark through a few gates to get in some backyards. The 54" isn't going to fit. I would rather have a Rebel though. Wish they made a 48" in it. Sort of odd that they don't.

jeffie b

LawnSite Member
I had an outlaw 61” with a Kohler 31hp several years ago. I was irritated with my local jd dealer and bought it on impulse. It was an excellent machine, I was very hard on it and did normal repairs on it, belts and one spindle bearing. I replaced it at 1300 hrs with a jd 930m. The only reason I didn’t continue on with the bb is the dealer sold and did away with the bb line. Now I’m irritated with jd again and looking to change colors. I feel the outlaw line are decent commercial mowers for the price.

OP
L

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
I had an outlaw 61” with a Kohler 31hp several years ago. I was irritated with my local jd dealer and bought it on impulse. It was an excellent machine, I was very hard on it and did normal repairs on it, belts and one spindle bearing. I replaced it at 1300 hrs with a jd 930m. The only reason I didn’t continue on with the bb is the dealer sold and did away with the bb line. Now I’m irritated with jd again and looking to change colors. I feel the outlaw line are decent commercial mowers for the price.
I appreciate the feedback. Some give the mower a bad rap, and maybe I am missing something. Thing looks solid to me. I do like this dealer although they are newer. Just hope they stick around if I decide to buy. But honestly as hard as I run one, after 3 years I have to look at another one. So they don't have to stay in business forever. I don't like it when I have to start throwing parts at one unless I have 2 units, then I don't mind as much. Gotta stay in the field.

I will kick myself if I make a mistake, but I guess you never know until you try something else. I was almost sold on Scag when I bought my last Exmark, but my dealer closed up and the Scag dealer we have in town now, I wouldn't buy anything except maybe a small part from if I am just close by. They are rude and don't care. So, I went back with the Exmark. I do love the Exmark dealer I have though. I will decide soon I guess, it's a tough decision. Thanks for the response!

jeffie b

LawnSite Member
I wouldn’t be scared of the bad boy at all I just don’t have a dealer close. There are several in my small town and a couple of the part time guys use them exclusively. It’s all in your dealer.

goodbeus

LawnSite Senior Member
I’ve been cutting lawns for close to 30 years and I’ve used almost every brand of mower. Ran toro for a while but after the bad hydro problems with the hydro system and other issues on the grandstands, and everyone had the same problems, I was done with toro. Saw the badboy mowers but was skeptical because of the price. Generally, you get what you pay for. Went over it with a fine tooth comb and liked what I saw. Simple mowers and that’s what I wanted. No fuel injection systems or complicated wiring systems. All works great but when they start to fail, it’s an expensive nightmare. I bought a 48” revolt with 100 hours for $3500. Give the brand a try. I’ve got about 400 hours on it now and love it. Good cut and the controls are great. I’ve had no breakdowns and there’s now sign right now of any kind of breakdown. Plan on getting a 54” maverick this spring. Get the commercial grade though. My father in law has a home owner model and at 700 hours, says the blade spindles are wearing out the metal on the deck. I think the commercial models have added steel plates where the blade spindles are but not sure.

jeffie b

LawnSite Member
I’ve been cutting lawns for close to 30 years and I’ve used almost every brand of mower. Ran toro for a while but after the bad hydro problems with the hydro system and other issues on the grandstands, and everyone had the same problems, I was done with toro. Saw the badboy mowers but was skeptical because of the price. Generally, you get what you pay for. Went over it with a fine tooth comb and liked what I saw. Simple mowers and that’s what I wanted. No fuel injection systems or complicated wiring systems. All works great but when they start to fail, it’s an expensive nightmare. I bought a 48” revolt with 100 hours for $3500. Give the brand a try. I’ve got about 400 hours on it now and love it. Good cut and the controls are great. I’ve had no breakdowns and there’s now sign right now of any kind of breakdown. Plan on getting a 54” maverick this spring. Get the commercial grade though. My father in law has a home owner model and at 700 hours, says the blade spindles are wearing out the metal on the deck. I think the commercial models have added steel plates where the blade spindles are but not sure.
[/QUOTE

What kind of lifespan should those sealed deck bearings have? I live in the south high humidity start mowing when it’s wet I started changing the deck bearings on my bad boy every spring for peace of mind around 350 hrs a season.

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
I’m a huge fan of Demo’s in situations like this. If you can try one out on your actual accounts, then you know exactly what you’re getting. I understand that’s not always possible or easy, but it’s how I’d at least try to proceed.
Good luck!

goodbeus

LawnSite Senior Member
I have no idea. I asked that question at the dealer and they said they have some mowers with 2000 hours that they service and the spindles are good. I’m in northeast Florida. I sharpen the blades every 25 hours and check the spindles every time and still just as solid as new. No need to replace them until you have blade wobble

Justin Hightower

LawnSite Member
Decent mowers we work on a lot of the lower tier ones had a couple of outlaws in there and from just my experience on working on em is 1)the relays act up a lot. Not so much the relays themselves but the wiring as it tends to have shorts. 2) electronic deck lift actuators go out a lot. Not cheap about $400 for a new one. 3) hard to get aftermarket parts for. Not really a bad thing but if a spindle goes bad it’s gonna be more expensive than buying one from say Stens or someone. 4) drive belts, some last forever, some break every 6 months no rhyme or reason.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
But honestly as hard as I run one, after 3 years I have to look at another one. So they don't have to stay in business forever.

My mower now is a 2018 Radius X. It has the Kawasaki FX691 and 3400 hydros. This mower isn't top commercial grade, as I know. But I have over 800 hours on it with no issues.

Your 2018 radius X is 3 yrs old.
With only 800 hrs, doesn't seem like your over using them to me.
If your happy with a brand and are familiar with them I'd stay the course.

Top Forums