1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Honeysuckle problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by punisher1, May 1, 2003.

1. punisher1

punisher1 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of honeysuckles that have taken over some yellow belle bushes appox. 4 feet tall. Any spray that might work on them and not kill the bushes.

Thanks,

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Whew, this is a toughie! Good old fashioned vine pulling and cutting?...........Only thing I can think of. Is there anyway you can cover the bushes COMPLETELY, then spray Honeysuckle with round up? Speaking of Yellow Bells, are they perrenail shrubs? I planted one in my backyard last summer, it died down in the fall and never came back.

3. punisher1

punisher1 LawnSite Member
    from NC

No, they should come back year after year. I tried the cutting and pulling, they just seem to bounce right back.

Thanks

4. jfenton

jfenton LawnSite Member

cut em back, then hand apply roundup to the new shoots when they appear. Good luck

5. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I cut off at the ground and apply full strength roundup with a small foam brush. Works on poison ivy too.

Bryan

6. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

use wick method with high doseage of rd. up..

7. onemancrew

onemancrew LawnSite Member
    from tn. #7

Find the lowest point where there is some folige on the honeysuckle and spray it good, cut the rest out . This should get it.