Lawn Care Forum banner

Hooded sprayer possibility

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Richard Carey 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been applying herbicides with 8 and 10' booms for the last 8 years. This spring is our windiest since 2010. Leads me to this question- how could I put removable hoods on my Steel Green? Anyone experimented with it or anything similar such as Toro or Z Spray?

Yes, I understand that most labels say don't spray over 10mph. I am not posting this to start any silly arguments about such. Just simply discussing hoods and mechanical fabrication etc! We did build some aluminum big bulky hoods for our old sprayer, ran them 1 season and ditched them. So trying to figure out something that's not too big, and also removable so I can fold the booms in.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

See less See more
#4 ·
Potentially you could build a wind hood from light-weight fabric.
Fold up and out of the way, secured with ties or Velcro when not needed.
Be sure to investigate low-drift nozzles. Be sure to experiment with low pressure sprays. That is use low volume, large droplets and mix the herbicide at a higher concentration.

#6 ·
In marginal conditions I switch from 50 gallon per acre nozzles on the boom to 100 gallon per acre nozzles. At no time do I even attempt 25 gallon per acre nozzles in marginal conditions. That is with AI 110 nozzles on a boom 20" spacing and 20" off of the ground.

#12 ·
That's what I normally spray at but in certain cases I will go to 1 gal. per k. I know it's a lot more filling but better than not spraying at all. Really not that hard to adjust mixing, in fact it can be easier to calculate at 1 gal per.

That being said I wonder if a shield only at the front of the boom would do the trick. I've noticed in windy conditions the spray pattern is affected mostly when you are going into the wind, naturally of course. If the wind speed is 10 mph and you're going 5 mph with the wind that amounts to only 5 mph wind speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.