Hori-hori: who uses them?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by RLeClair, Dec 21, 2018.

1. RLeClair

RLeClair LawnSite Member

So I've been thinking about taking a hori-hori into the field for a test spin, ultimately to replace my trowels. It seems like a Swiss army gardening knife. Apart from being concave for digging, it cuts roots, branches, sod, opens bags, cuts rope/twine, etc. The blade even has measurements for planting bulbs at proper depths. I like to keep my pruners hip holstered for ready access, and the hori-hori is generally sold with a holster. I imagine that it would be versatile enough that it would make a good companion to the pruners hanging off my hip.

After many years working in horticulture for many different companies, I am a bit surprised that I have never encountered one. So my question is whether or not they are as good of a tool as they appear to be? What is a good brand?

hort101 likes this.
  2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

There must be three to half dozen floating around the shop somewhere

They get misplaced due to people not using them much

A good multi tool and a set of felcos seems to be what everyone prefers

RLeClair likes this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

We use hori hori knives everywhere at the horticulture garden where I am a volunteer. Japanese garden tool. The good ones are a bit expensive. The orange handle reduces the number lost in the bushes--somewhat. Digs out weeds, crabgrass and thistle. The good ones have a serrated back edge--you can make it act like a small saw if you have good stamina.
    https://www.amleo.com/leonard-deluxe-soil-knife-and-sheath-combination-kit/p/4752COM/

RLeClair and hort101 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    RLeClair

RLeClair LawnSite Member

One of the major uses that I envision is for hand weeding. While I'm pretty good and removing tap root weeds with the root attached, I invariable break a few roots. It seems like the hori-hori blade would be a quick way to pop them out of the ground.

5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

I used to carry a hori hori. It has now been replaced with just a straight blade knife. I will still take it with me if I know I'll be doing a lot of hand weeding. Otherwise a knife is really all I need day to day.

6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

If you have a knife you can slide it right down the root and pop them out just like a hori hori.

RLeClair likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    RLeClair

RLeClair LawnSite Member

That's a good idea. Plain knifes would be cheaper. I might have to do some side by side testing to decide if buying more hori-horis in the future is worth it, or if plain knifes work well enough.

8. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve always wanted to use one but never needed it. I carry a straight blade knife with serrated edges I made longer at the bottom. I use it like a saw or popping out weeds. But the Japanese tool looks neat.