1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Hornet's Nest

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kevin, Jul 22, 2000.

1. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

Need your best it worked for me, I've been stung! Thanks in advance,Kevin

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

About threee weeks ago I was trimming overgrown bushes, and ran into a bald white faced hornets nest. They were rentless in attacking me,covering my shirt & pants, my helper finally managed to kill the ones that were stinging me. The doctor said I was stung at least 50-60 times, it was a real bad day.

3. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

Yuck. I got stung,swatted at my shirt sleeve,thought I killed it, then got stung again and again, 4 times not 40 though! Gotta eliminate them!<br>

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

a can of WD40 and a propane torch work wonders on flying objects.!!!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

5. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

Let me stand next to your fire.....Jimi Seems a little dangerous, also dont want to get to close.

6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta love the WD40 and lighter.Then tip<br>petrol over the nest and light em up.<p>Karl<br>

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Karl, I'm glad I'm not the only one around here with pyromaniac views!! LOL, I burned many an eyebrow and hair when I was a sick little child!!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

8. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Heres one that I have used in the past. get whatever you neeed to sit a gallon milk jug as close to the opening as you can, the closet the top of the jug the better, then put about a quart of gas in it and place it there at night. Be very careful not to disturb the nest and be quiet. After placing it about 2 - 4 inches away from the opening, take the lid off of the gas and leave. The fumes from the gas will slowly suffocate the entire nest. <br>An old timer trick that has worked for me. <br>Insteed of wd-40 starting fluid works great as does breeak cleaner and they shoot farther too!

9. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

Im gonna fire em up tonite,put a rag on the end of a pole with gas on it,Smoke em if ya got em ,whatever the hell that means..

10. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Standard procedure on every shrub trimming job:<p>1.) Take rake and beat the bushes prior to trimming.<p>2.) 3 gallon sprayer with Dursban to kill any/all harmful insects as needed.<p>I'm allergic to bee stings, so I always keep a package of Benedril in the truck.<br>