Lawn Care Forum banner

Horrible experience at Hustler dealer?!

32K views 53 replies 21 participants last post by  Bika 
#1 ·
Just looking for some experiences here. I am pretty well narrowed down to getting a Hustler Raptor or a Bad Boy MZ. I have one of each that is somewhat close to where I live (within an hour or so).

I went to the dealer in my area that is available for Hustler mowers. I went thinking it might be like going to buy a car, but boy was I wrong. When I walked in a grease monkey came up to the front counter and asked if he could help me. I told him I was thinking about getting a Hustler mower and wanted some help. He got real nervous and told me he'd get someone else to help me. Another grease monkey, that was more nervous, came up next to help me and he couldn't provide me with any information really at all. He took out a big three ring binder and pointed to the cost of a 42" and 52" (both of which were $100 more than I expected) and that was it. He said he'd never seen a raptor before because it was new, the store only had one Hustler in it, which might have been a stand on, but I didn't see where you'd stand on it.

I may have just been expecting something that didn't exist, but I drove 45 minutes to the dealer expecting I'd get a color brochure and be able to sit on a Hustler ztr even if it wasn't a raptor and someone would be able to sell me on it and point up some reasons to buy it etc. This guy said I could maybe find some information on the internet. I get the impression from the many helpful people that have helped me get this far in my decision that this is not normal procedure for getting a mower, so now I'm very discouraged in Hustler because this guy basically said he'd order one and then he'd be able to fix it if there was a problem. I shied away from Bad Boy because everyone told me their service was bad, but I don't think there was ANY service with the Hustler dealer.

Am I way off here in my expectations?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
well that's not normal but not so much a bad thing. i hate salesmen. they rarely know much about anything either. the way to buy something is research it for yourself and decide first before you ever go looking to buy one. you can find out more online about a product than you can from any salesmen in the world.

#5 ·
if you go to see the bad boy mowers you CAN TEST DRIVE THEM!:cool2:

#6 ·
Everyone simmer down now.
But seriously if the dealer only had 1 mower and neither mechanic could tell you anything about the mower you were interested in , you probably shouldn't do business there.
Service and parts availability are as important as the mower itself in my opinion . Good luck with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
If a dealer was 45 minutes away and I never was there I would have called first to ask what they have in stock that I could see before wasting my time. Just because they are a dealer for something doesn't mean that they have it in stock. I have two dealers here that handle all the major brands and have quite a bit of inventory yet several times they didn't have what I was looking for. They said just tell them what I want and they will order it. They can't stock everything.

#9 ·
The same thing happen to me I was look for a Hustler (was never again ) I put in my zip in the Find a Dealer the fist 3 was farmers co-op . So I drive 30 miles I see the place and do not even stop it looks bad and I see no ZT at all so keep on going .You need to call first to see what they have.

#10 ·
I noticed you said you're shying away from Bad Boy due to customer service... Yep, been there done that! They got my $5000 and I got headaches every mowing season since... (dealing with spindle issues as we speak!) I also tried calling a local dealer to get a bolt-on trailer hitch for mine, and when I tried giving them my CC # to order it, I was told I'd have to come in to their store (a 45 min. drive) and pay for it in person before they'd put it on order... No thanks.

#11 ·
I kind of have a bad feeling about the dealer too. The fastrack is out of my budget. $3,000 is already pushing things for me. Maybe I'll go check out the MZ but that's a couple hundred more with the kawi engine and I just don't know if I can afford it. Worth the drive I suppose.

Thanks guys.

#12 ·
I'm a complete noob as far as this mowing experience goes. Like I said, I've never had a nice mower before and I just thought it would be more like buying a car. It seems with the few amount of dealers out there, there isn't much competition or customer service. I would never drive to a ford dealership and ask them to sell me a car I'd never seen before or even sat in. No test drive, completely sight unseen. Nobody buys a car like that. Buying a mower that way seems pretty crazy to me. I might still do it, but...hmmm.

#14 ·
The thing is, most of the guys on here are lawn care professionals and they're used to dealing with zero turns in the $6,000.00 and up range. Real pro grade equipment. You're inquiring about a $3,000.00 mower and in that range, most of us are thinking used walk behind with a sulky. That's just how most professionals will look at it - rather have a used piece of commercial equipment than a new piece of home owner equipment.

If I had to have a brand new zero turn and I couldn't spend more than three grand, I'd go pick up a Toro or Ariens home owner model from home depot. If all you'll be mowing is your own yard, it'll be fine.

Now, back to Hustler. What you described is exactly why I have no interest in purchasing Hustler products. Here where I live, there are three Scag dealers, four Exmark dealers, two Toro dealers, and three JD dealers. All are big time commercial grade equipment dealers within 70 miles of each other. The Hustler dealer has a little shack repair shop out in the sticks with one Fast Trak in stock.

#16 ·
I completely understand the inadequacy of my budget, but I have consistently heard that spending $3,000 at huster or bad boy or gravely or exmark is going to certainly be better than going to home depot to get something similar. Would you disagree with that? I mean it would certainly be easier to go to home depot, and it would likely be cheaper. I guess that I have been convinced that getting a fabricated deck and kawi mower on the huster raptor for example is worth going to huster for as compared to whatever I might pick up at home depot. I completely understand that what I'm looking for is not for a lawn mowing service and most of you are not looking for a mower only for their yard, but I would like a mower that will last me for eight or ten years instead of being replaced in three or four and I have gathered on here that if I go with one of these dealer brands I am much more likely to get that. Am I wasting money going with one of these brands for my yard?

Thanks guys.

#18 ·
have you thought about looking for a used, low hour commercial machine from a big name mfg? just doing your own yard it'll last you forever
I agree with this. For example, I would sell you my 06 exmark Viking 36" with sulky for about $2500. It is clean as hell, rarely gets used, built like a tank and will out live you. Go commercial if you don't want to buy again in a few years.

#19 ·
I completely understand the inadequacy of my budget, but I have consistently heard that spending $3,000 at huster or bad boy or gravely or exmark is going to certainly be better than going to home depot to get something similar.
If you're talking about zero turns in the 3k range, I don't believe there's going to be much of a difference. The Ariens I mentioned is basically a home owner Gravely. The dealer home owner type Toro is probably going to be the same Toro that home depot is selling. The only benefit I can see is the dealer will be more willing to service equipment you buy from them.

I would like a mower that will last me for eight or ten years instead of being replaced in three or four and I have gathered on here that if I go with one of these dealer brands I am much more likely to get that.
Honestly, if you're only mowing your yard, I would expect to get 8-10 years out of the home owner zeros... assuming proper maintenance. I don't think you're going to get solid equipment in the 3k range. Unless, as someone mentioned on here, you buy a used commercial walk behind with a sulky for 3k. In reality, that's where you're at IF... you truly want a superior mower. But when they break, commercial mowers cost more to fix.

You can slice that apple as many times as you want but in the end, 3k gets you 3k's worth.

#21 ·
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by sulky. That might make more sense if I did, but walk behind and two and a half acres doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I don't feel like I know enough about used mowers to go that route. My last two crappy mowers have been hand me downs (one from craigslist that my wife blew up, and the other from a 'friend').

I don't doubt your advice and maybe that's what I'll end up doing, but it's completely opposite from all of the other advice I've received in the forums trying to pick out a mower.

#22 ·
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by sulky. That might make more sense if I did, but walk behind and two and a half acres doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I don't feel like I know enough about used mowers to go that route. My last two crappy mowers have been hand me downs (one from craigslist that my wife blew up, and the other from a 'friend').

I don't doubt your advice and maybe that's what I'll end up doing, but it's completely opposite from all of the other advice I've received in the forums trying to pick out a mower.
The sulky is the attachment with wheels that you ride on. I have used a walk behind with sulky to mow 4 acres without a prob. Hell I mow 5 acre lots on my vride standing up and have no prob or fatigue. Riding killed my back. Do whatever you want.

#23 ·
A sulky is a wheel that you stand on that is attached to a walk behind mower. Google sulky and you'll get the idea. If you put a sulky behind a commercial walk behind... in the hands of someone experienced... it will mow circles around a home owner grade zero. Just eat... it... up.

For a walk behind, all you need to know is brand (Exmark), type (ultra cut), model (Viking, Turf Tracer, or Metro if you can't afford Viking, Turf Tracer). That's pro grade. Throw a sulky on it and go. Don't know if the wife will be able to handle that sulky behind the walk behind, though. LOL!

Sorry. Maybe, I'm just a dumb a$$.

Seriously, if you've got to have a zero for 3k, you might as well head to Lowes or Home Depot. You can find commercial zeros for 3k but they'll have over 2000 hours and will nickel and dime you to death.

#24 ·
.... industry leading three-year warranty* and unmatched customer care"
It sounds like his customer care was unmatched. "Unmatched" may be a positive, or a negative characteristic.

I agree with the suggestion of others regarding a used commercial machine. We don't know your terrain, only area. The suggestion of a sulky is a good one.

Many years ago, I used my 36" Exmark, with a one-wheeled sulky, to mow three acres, weekly cuts. The task required about three hours. For my commercial interests, this was not a good fit, and I moved away. For your case, a 48" or 52" walk-behind with a sulky (two wheeled model) would work well -- unless there is something unusual about your property.

To answer the question: Yes, you expected too much from the dealer. Buying a mower is not like buying a car. Do all your homework online with regard to specifications and features. Then go to the dealer, and confirm your understandings from the research.

Real lost of threads on LS, and understand the brands that are standouts -- Exmark, Scag, Toro, Ferris, John Deere, etc. For your limited usage, any of these major brands will work for you. If you aren't a "spec" buyer, then buy a major brand of used walk-behind, and be confident it will work for you. In the "For Sale" section of LS, I have seen some great buys on machines that are far from worn out.

#26 ·
Any thoughts on Kohler. Everything I had looked at so far was get a kawi instead of a b and s but I haven't run into kohler yet. I was thinking about 42" so I wonder if there is any 42" for a similar price that might offer even more with a smaller deck? I'd better start checking out the lowe's site. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.