1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Horticulture/ Design Degree Worth It ???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GRANTSKI, Oct 9, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely. The biggest local spray company in my area was run by the wife (sales/ office work). I think I have to stick w the money and blood don’t mix theory though. I def would like to have her take care of the business side if she needs the extra income but that’ll be up to her. Could come in handy as a working internship type of thing while she’s in school.

hort101 and LongIslander like this.
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Bingo !!

And at least two other things. One is a love of plants and outdoor gardens or forests. The other, is being adept or not. Some people have the knack, and others don't have the knack.

The skill set dwarfs a degree provided the knowledge and training is acquired somehow.

3. OP
    OP
    GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Taking the ornamental & turf course right now. I definitely find the plant science / botany / etc pretty fascinating. Maybe when I’m older I’ll get into design & landscaping. But for a solo op it’s too time consuming. I was thinking to start with “pollinator gardens” as a little niche type service.

zlandman, hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Imo ask lots of questions and learn as much as you can it all starts with plant scienceThumbs UpThumbs Up

zlandman, Walker56 and Doc8406 like this.
  5. HannahMayzing

HannahMayzing LawnSite Member

Put her in community college to get her basics. By the time she is done with that she will know what her calling is. If she enjoys the sciences then she can lean more towards that. I am an accounting major, but I've lost interest in it.

hort101 likes this.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure to convince her to take plenty of business. A minor, at least. Most jobs are with profit-making companies. Sales, marketing, management of people, and accounting are all important.
    Architecture is good; then specialize in landscape. Combines art, engineering, and horticulture--improves the environment, properly done.

A local botanic garden is building huge new projects: beautiful Japanese Garden, (30 acres), amazing roof garden, (12,000 sqft) 20 acres of perennial "sunken garden", picnic shelters.

hort101 likes this.