• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Hose reel problems

Turfdoctor1

LawnSite Senior Member
I recently purchased a used sprayer that has a hannayelectric hose reel. At first the switch was sticking on. It seemed like the button was just sticking, and we sprayed a little WD-40 on it. It seemed to help. But, the next day the hose reel just quit working altogether.

I am less than mechanical, but we have checked continuity in the fuse box, swith, solenoid, etc. and can't find a problem. We replaced the solenoid. That didn't fix it.

This reel is nearly impossible to reel by hand (extremely stiff and lots of hose). And, hannay is closed because of the weather the past couple of days.

Any ideas of what the problem would be and how to fix it? I need this operational ASAP, like today if possible.

thanks!

sprayboy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Check the ground wire....take it loose and clean it.

If that is good and you are getting power through the switch to the motor, then you might have to look into the motor.

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
If you've replaced the solenoid and your source of power is good (deep cell or truck battery) then take the wires off the push button switch and touch them together. If it works then your switch is bad or connections are corroded. Are you sure you wired the solenoid back up correctly? This may be the problem if it stopped working when you replaced it.

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Contact Corrosion seems to be the first problem I run into on hose reel electrical problem. WD 40 spray will sometimes cure it for a short period of time. But cleaning all terminals is the better cure.

Second problem I have is replacing solenoid. I do it about once a year on hose reels outside in the weather. BTW My Cabover has a everything enclosed and I have very little electric problem compared to equipment out in the weather. Solenoid replacement seems to be the most common problem I have with hose Reels.

I seem to of solved my Momentary Button problems by going to a sealed Marine grade.

Last is motor replacement and heaver gauge wire keeps resistances down and give better life to the motor.

Triple D

LawnSite Member
I had this same problem. Mine was in the pushbutton. Simple fix. You can get a switch from the local tractor supply of hardware store for about $10. Make sure you clean the connectors or better yet just replace them when you install the new pushbutton.

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
At one other company we worked at, the boss would not let us do preventative maintence. The reel would always stop working from a bad ground. I think he grounded it to the spray frame in the back of a pick up. It sucked.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I too, vote for bad ground. Common problem. Motor has a hot side with wire. And then a ground-side wire. It is best to ground this directly to bare metal on the the truck frame. Rust does not count as bare metal. Do not try to establish a ground up higher on the sprayer frame. Use a fat wire--you want all 12 volts and plenty of amperes, too. Use a test light or volt meter between the ground and hot wire to make sure the ground is absolutely perfect.
WD-40 may have interfered with the switch making good contact. New generic starter button is 5 dollars at Auto Zone. Cover it with a condom to keep out moisture.

OP
T

Turfdoctor1

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for all of the advice guys!

We got it fixed. The previous owner had rewired from the solenoid to the switch, and somehow those wires had shorted. Switch was fine, ground was fine, solenoid was fine. Put in new wire from solenoid to the switch, problem solved.

Thanks again everyone! Actually had a productive day today!