• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Hour meter install:Questions

Shasta Lake Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Im going to put an hour meter on a new mower. It has a 13hp kawasaki v-twin, recoil start, do I put the hour meter wire on one plug wire, both of them, or the black wire that goes back to the ignition?

FIXDISS

LawnSite Senior Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can put an hour meter on a pull start engine with no charging system and battery.Unless you have some kind of hour meter with it's own battery and monitors ignition spark. Do you have the installation instructions for the hour meter ?

OP
S

Shasta Lake Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah I was looking at exactly the tiny tach, I just wasnt sure if it was a different reading, because it hooked to one spark, it wouldn't read the other one, if that makes sense.

kenneth meals

LawnSite Member
It will show the actual hours, internal battery is not replacable. Batery should last about 3 years, which is about the same time UV rays get to the clear face and start to leak. Just my opinion and exsperiance with them.

fixer67

LawnSite Silver Member
OK, since we are talking about hour meters I have a question about the way some are installed on some machines. I would think that they should be installed so the meters shows the hours the engine has been running but I have see more than a few hour meters installed on machines with electric PTOs to have the meter installed in a such away that it only reads the time the PTO is on. On those machines you could run the engine to a week and never show 1 hour of time if the PTO was not turned on. Now these machine I have seen have been wired that way from the factory. Now what good is a hour meter wired like that?