• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Hourly rate for subordinate assistants at a cemetery

FERT-TEK

LawnSite Bronze Member
Gentlemen, I recently accepted a position as a superintendent for a 37 acre cemetery. Recently, both the superintendent and his assistant have retired at the same time and I am desperately looking for qualified help.This week I plan on listing an advertisement through various forms of help wanted media. Being a smaller cemetery they do not have appropriate staff and I want to make sure I can retain qualified help.

My reason for contact is to ask what would be the appropriate hourly rate for the assistant to the superintendent and for seasonal help in the summer. FYI, I have asked the Board of Directors several times for direction on this matter but have not received a reply. Therefore I want to suggest to them what an appropriate pay scale should be for the assistant position and for the summer help that I will be bringing in at the end of the school year.

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
If you were 28 years old with a few years of experience what would you need to be paid in your area for this job to be attractive? That's your starting point.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
I would reach out to a temp agency and ask what their seeing in the labor market! I would also scan on line like indeed or others to see to get some data on salary’s as well! As@jonthepain related, I’m surprised a range is no on their budget plan!
Not knowing what the range is, difficult to get you a definitive answer!

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
$8.50-11/ hr depending on past experience

landscaper22

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you were 28 years old with a few years of experience what would you need to be paid in your area for this job to be attractive? That's your starting point.
Yeah you asked the right question. Thing is, many jobs these days think $11-12/hour is a decent salary apparently. Yeah, if you are part time and in school or something, still living with your parents, then you will have some spending money. But it's no where near decent to live on. I doubt the board of directors will pay more than that, but I'm not sure. Also, what are you making? You don't have to tell us, but I mean use it as a guide. If you are making say $20/hour, then I doubt your help would want to work for $10 for instance. As someone else mentioned the temp agency may be a good start. if they don't work out, then you can let them go easily. If you find a really good one, maybe after 90 days or so, hire them on and give them a nice raise so they will not want to leave quickly. I don't see someone wanting to work for less than $11 an hour. Even at that, they probably won't stay too long.

eggy

LawnSite Bronze Member
As someone who just works for someone else.. I would have to ask are we talking paid holidays , vacation/sick time and some kind of retirement? If so I think you could probably be around 15 hr for your assistant..so around 30k a year.. With full benefits.. might get a little interest...