How are you accepting credit cards prepay

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jasburrito, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Jasburrito

Jasburrito LawnSite Member

So i am trying to get my ducks in a row before i start. I want all my customers to be prepay. At my previous business i would wright down the numbers. Then put them in through the phone at night. If i had info wrong it would not work. And always hard to get cc # again. Plus i would always lose sleep about not getting paid when work was completed. So this time i want to charge there credit card before i start. What are some good ways of doing this. Thanks

2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I remember taking about this to my processor years ago you can't keep any card number written down or on file or otherwise to be PCI compliant. Feel free to correct me anyone if I am wrong. We have it where customer puts in their own info and selects the "autobill" option. We run card day of service. Usually that evening but I'm about to change to running the card prior to the crew leaving. Card not good, we no cut.

3. OP
    OP
    Jasburrito

Ok so i would need to get there credit card on file without writing down the #s. Lol. Seems i will need another merchant acount then. Or is there an easier way? Noticed one of my plumber buddys slides cards on his phone. But would that system work without card again? Thanks

4. kemco

We use service autopilot but there are others. Once customer puts card number in via online I do not have access to their card number. All I can see is last 4 digits. I'm not sure but PayPal might even have a recurring payment system to where it's not you keeping the card on file but a third party. Even though we use service autopilot it integrates with the card processor so I would doubt SAP even has access to the card number.

5. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

It is CRITICAL that you follow "PCI Compliance" to the letter when handling customer payments via Credit Card!

www.pcicomplianceguide.org/faq/

AlohaMowing and hort101 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Jasburrito

I opened my business account today. My bank works with vantiv. He said vantiv would contact me to help setup cc. See what i figure out. Thanks

Doc8406 likes this.
  7. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

I also use SAP. I use BluePay through them. Don't use the client portal yet but will in the future.

Kemco do you use the portal?

8. kemco

Oxmow yes I have for years. It's great. I'm well over 60% of customers either on autobill or they go online through the portal to pay. I would prefer everyone to be autobill and I'm gradually getting there. The customers that use the portal we do not have to leave or email invoices because they can get all of that through the portal as well.

9. OP
    OP
    Jasburrito

Good info guys. The mower i was going to go buy got sold from under me some how. Kinda bummed. Anyways I got my shirts ordered. About 30 a pop. But it supports a local company. Huge thanks.

20190312_124107.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  10. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

ummm...and you are giving 27.00 to support him per shirt???