How are you guys making profit?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Andrew N, May 9, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Andrew N

Andrew N LawnSite Member

Yeah seriously though because honestly I'm not that passionate about this stuff I am just trying to fund everything and honestly going into something else just me and my mom is better but we have to be able to fund it and thats why I am getting so worked up. Me and her need time for other things. My grandma is about to die and I have to spend time with her and stuff like that you know? I know cracking ass will her you where you want but this is not really that same situation.

2. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

You have to be passionate about whatever it is you do in life, whether it's mopping floors or trying to build a business, without the passion to do what you are doing you're not going to be good at it.

And the question about how to overcome the obstacle of a "take it or leave it attitude" the answer is easy, money overcomes that obstacle. Once you have enough work and enough money then you can become more independent. I do the same thing anymore, but years ago I would take whatever terrible job came along for whatever terrible customer that would hire me. You got to start somewhere and it's not at the top.

3. NormP

NormP LawnSite Member

I don’t mean to be rude, just blunt: if you’re “just trying to make some money” and not build a company you are passionate about, as you say, go build decks as an employee for someone else; then the headache of running a company will be his problem, not yours.

And if not letting people walk all over you is “extremely emotionally difficult” for you, you don’t need to be a business owner. Again this may sound rude but I’m being frank—it sounds like you lack mental toughness. Some of that will come with age, but you need to start working on it now for more than just business reasons. With a sick grandma your mom will need you to be tough if you’re the man of the house.

Mark Oomkes and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Andrew N

Andrew N LawnSite Member

Flower bed maintenance at 5$? How? Do you just quickly spread some preen? I have a property that if I go back to every 2 weeks will have enough weeds to take me 2 days to hand pull

5. Skol

Skol LawnSite Senior Member

Matthews will likely have his own answer, but since I have the same approach as him, I'll chime in as well..... It's self-respect, and probably comes with age in life, and age in the business. If I'm doing the work, we're doing it the way I want to do it (within reason), and for the price I say we're doing it. If not, find someone else.

Matthews Lawn Care likes this.
  6. Arvydas

Arvydas LawnSite Member

I didn't see if you'd answered this question - are you only grossing 2k a week with 4 employees? If so, that's horrific. I'm not critisizing, I'm wanting to help you.

Each employee should be pulling in $1500 a week bare minimum, and significantly more if you live in a city with a high cost of living.

Your numbers are so low its painful. If customers won't pay those rates then you're marketing to the wrong, wrong people. Get away from those people as fast as you can. Don't book work that will make you crap money.

Start off by booking profitable work for yourself and a helper if you don't have enough work to profitably support 4 people. Then expand it to more employees.

Otherwise labor costs and taxes are going to destroy you.

7. OP
    OP
    Andrew N

Andrew N LawnSite Member

So it was just basically exposure therapy? Just constantly experiencing it until you learn? I can understand that honestly if nothing else it has tremendously helped me with talking to strangers on public.

8. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Overcome letting someone walk all over me? Easy, I’m not going to take anyones sh1t. I know who I am, what I’m about and I’m comfortable with all that. I’m not going to stand for someone being disrespectful to me unless I deserve it, which sometimes I do but in the scenario I mentioned, it’s not my fault the guy didn’t like the price therefore when he gave me a sh1tty comment, I gave him a dose of reality. What I said was the truth so he can go put me on blast all he wants, at the end of the day, the customers I want, will be able to see this guy is an a$$.

Skol likes this.
  9. Skol

Skol LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you trying to start a business just to make a little money? Seems like you're making that objective a little harder than it needs to be.

Mark Oomkes and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Andrew N

Andrew N LawnSite Member

Well yeah that's basically what happening now. Taxes are excluded from this whole mess. Dont even get me started with that. Most of our work is from old customers (who's prices really need to be tripled) using them as just filler work. And home advisor.