1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

How are you guys pricing out pine straw?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by GSO LAWNEN4CER, Jan 16, 2020.

1. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Senior Member
    from GSO NC

I’ve always marked up the price on a bail then added on labor. I had a customer of mine tell me I should do it differently.
    He suggested that I charge the customer the exact bail price. Then adjust my labor to make the profit. He explained it that customers will trust you more, by showing them prices of materials.
    Any truth in his thinking? I see it,but how much can you adjust Labor before someone starts asking questions?

2. hal

hal LawnSite Gold Member
    from Georgia

I charge by the bale, at least 10/bale. Straw companies charge 5-5.50 to bring and spread and clean up, I tell my customers 'that's a good deal, go with them'. No truth to what he said, he just wants you to lower your price. Give him the price and stick to it.

3. OP
    OP
    GSO LAWNEN4CER

from GSO NC

I’ve always added on 1.50-2.00 per bail then my hourly rate for installation. I have added as much a 2.50 per bail. When quality straw was hard to get. And all was available was that garbage at Lowe’s/Home depot

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The bottom line is what it is.
    Your price is your price.

5. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

I understand what he's saying but just stick to what works for you.had a guy do some work for me and he started talking about the prices of everything in the quote and I knew it was off.didnt care if he charged me for time to pick up materials, just don't shoot me fake numbers.also I didn't ask him About quote he just started explaining it.but you didn't say that so yea,customers probably trying to nickel and dime tou

6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

We are $12 a bale. Includes picking up and putting down.

sjessen, GSO LAWNEN4CER and Doc8406 like this.
  7. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Your customer is trying to get a better deal. I usually price things without separating material and labor cost... just give one price.

example: Colorado River Rock- $394.99/ ton installed.

My cost is $145 pre tax. I don’t say $160 a ton material and $235 labor, or even “mark up” on material and say $200 material $195 labor... just give a flat price. That way you are transparent and honest.

Don’t give away contractor pricing. The customer would pay $284.99/ ton for the same stuff I get, so even if they do price check it, $110/ ton labor (including delivery) sounds like a good deal to them. I do a lot of biz with this supplier so I get a pretty damn good discount, but still- if you charge what the market will bear it will work itself out.

8. OP
    OP
    GSO LAWNEN4CER

from GSO NC

I installed 28 bales today. I just did it the way I’ve been doing it. Mark up $1-2 bucks per bale and my hourly rate to install. I’m with the keep it simple stupid crowd. To be honest my supplier didn’t have the best straw today. This is the straw left over from last season. Still better than what’s at the big box stores. But had more trash/was a little discolored.

9. L33

L33 LawnSite Member

Input is appreciated, but I wouldn't run my business based on a crazy customer request. Of course he want to pay less for the material. You should pay wholesale, charge retail at least and also charge your labor. Your integrity won't be questioned for marking up materials, I promise. The fact that people do business with you means you've earned their trust.

jonthepain likes this.
  10. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

When we were in construction we charged a flat rate. The customers that wanted it broken out would inevitably be the pita customers that we should not have contracted with in the first place.

Eventually we learned our lessons.