• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

How bad are the losers in lawn care?

mdvaden

LawnSite Bronze Member
It's only about once per two months that I lose or forget a piece of equipment.

Most often, its my pruning hand saw, which I always drive back for.

So far, I'm just a small loser.

I don't think that I've forgotten a piece of landscape construction equipment.

Once, I forgot a chainsaw, and the lady put it at the curb overnight and left me a message - now that was a loss. Two hundred bucks worth - my only real lost item. So that's on the pruning end of things.

How's it work out in the lawn care phase of work. Anybody run into a common item that gets lost or forgotten?

smcunningham

LawnSite Senior Member
snips that I use to cut/snip triimer line off spool.....then i got smart and welded a small chain to the snips and to the trimmer line spool holder.

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
Rakes and tarps, sometimes a sweater :cry:

As for silly stuff, when I go swap equipment I always leave the used one idle for a minute while I start the new one so the engine cools (especially the Wb)... More than a few times have I gone off string trimming, come back 15 minutes later and there's the Wb just putt-putting along :laugh:

Because I don't carry extra fuel onboard I tend to run short on fuel somedays but I've never ran out.
Once or twice I ran short of trimmer string, that rarely happens anymore (I carry the whole 3 lb. spool lol).
> btw you can 'cut' string with a lighter :)
Sometimes I forget to fill up a sprayer with mix.
The edger I've forgotten at home, that one sux, gtg back 4 it.

First day out cutting grass this year I didn't have my string trimmer with me, but it was ok since the Wb decided to crap out on me anyhow lol, it's one of the reasons I like to get started kinda early, make sure everything's ship shape before things really get going.

My first year was really bad, I'd fill the rest of this page if I listed it all.

Vikings

LawnSite Bronze Member
I just started receiving calls from previous customers, it's really not even beginning yet here we still have some snow on the ground and the yards are soaking wet, anyway. I forgot how to answer the phone, I don't have my new prices on the tip of my tongue. I take notes but forget little things like the day of the appointment.. have to phone back. lol. Takes me a week of heavy phone calls to get the hang of it in the spring.

johnnywill08

LawnSite Senior Member
if i don't dbl check EVERYTHING my helpers will leave something behind. 21 yr old guys and they're borderline ********. 2 rakes @ my mother-in-law's the other day, that inspires confidence.....

MarcSmith

LawnSite Fanatic
I've set countless # knives and feclos , pliers,m and small tools on the bumper of a truck or on the side rails only to forget it and drive away....

I've probably thrown away a few rakes and hand tools at the landfill.

Key it to have a place for everything such that when you are done, a quick glance can tell you everything is where it needs to be.

ChadsLawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
I will lose 3 or 4 pair of sunglasses a year. either lay them on top of my truck or on top of my tool chest on my trailer. The just drive off.