Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I did do a search but couldn't find the answer.

Need some advice - I have decided to add an air compressor to my garage to power the following tools: impact wrench (one powerful enough to get ANY mower blade off without a problem), tire filler, compressed air gun to keep things clean.

My question is: How many hp and gallon compressor would you guys recommend. I've got my eye on a 3.5hp, 25 gal Craftsman Professional portable air compressor. Will this do what I need it to do? I don't like sissy stuff cause I don't like to have to do things again because I didn't do it right the first time (includes purchases), especially from being under-equipped for the job.

Also, are there other things a compressor would be useful for (excluding painting because I don't know how to paint)?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
I have a Speedy Air 5HP 30 gallon, and it seems to do fine in all aspects. I would recommend the same at least, if not bigger. I have a buddy who has a 60 gallon 15HP(i think) and it is very nice, probably what I will get if/when this one goes south on me.

~Nest

·
Registered
254 Posts
Don't need much. I use a 2HP with a 4 gallon tank. It allows me to carry it on the trailer. If need air just plug it in a cleints front porch outlet fill the tank and have air quick. It powers my impact wrench and all tools with no problem. Keep it small.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
you need about [email protected] to run an impact wrench on all types of applications.. the other two uses can be done with much less air pressure..

·
Registered
975 Posts
I too have a 2hp 4 gal. that I load in the truck every day. Love how portable it is, and have no problem running all the air tools. I love my neighbors compressor (60 gal. w/ 18 or 20 hp motor), and use it every time I can. If you can afford it, get one of each.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I got a 25gallon 5.5 hp Porter Cable. I think it cost under $300.00 . I can run just about any air tool with it, that should be plenty for you. I've used a 1/2 impact, air ratchet, grease gun, die grinder, air sander air chisel.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'm looking for one as well but I want it to be able to manage a Dual Action sander. All the charts I see at Lowes and elsewhere claim that the 5HP won't handle a sander! Someone let me know if they will, I need to sand and repaint my trailer this fall.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Started with an Emglo portable contractors unit. Drove my impact wrench OK but I close a couple of inground pools for special customers and the CFM on this unit wasnt enough to blow the lines properly so I picked up a Crapsman Pro twin cyl 30 gal unit that is still portable (on wheels) and it is working just fine for my applications. Would like a larger unit but cant justify it.
BobR

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I have a 26 gallon CH and found that to be overkill for most of what I need to do (tire filler & impact wrench). On the other hand, it has worked out better for running cut off tool and sander. You almost need two.

·
Registered
386 Posts
In my opinion, for any type of work other than just being a Joe Blow homeowner, you should get at least a 5hp upright.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Air wrench needs to have a minimum amount of CFM to work as well as PSI. All the pressure in the world without enough CFM and it ain't gonna work right. So, no matter what compressor you get, don't skimp on the hose and fittings. Use at least 3/8" hose with 1/4" quick connectors for a 1/2" air wrench.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
------, where in La. are you from?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Now you are getting to the key items to look for in a compressor. When comparing compressors, you need to look at the compressor performance. They are typically listed on the unit like 9.5 cfm @ 40 psi and 8.2 @ 90 psi. This is what tells you what type performance the unit has, not the motor horse power. I have a 2 hp unit that out pumps most 5 hp direct drive oilless compressors. Then compare the compressor performance to the tool demand (listed in the same format) and size from there.

My thoughts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.