Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had 2 weeks of no rain which has now evolved into a full blown drought. I havent seen rain in just over 4 weeks and counting. I've been trying to push some extras with little luck maybe an extra $100 a week worth. Any ideas for work when the grass isnt growing? Or should I spend my extra time doing a rain dance in my brown crusty front yard.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
If lawns are brown what about turf paint?

Mulch

Sell Xeriscaping

Add planting beds and burms (reduce lawn area)

power washing, fence and deck staining.

Fence installs and repairs

Maybe learn to do sprinklers

Just to name a few things..........

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Xeriscaping is landscaping for drought tolerance. In other words once established no irrigation would be needed. Except at extremes like 3 or 4 months no rain. It would only need watering once a month in that instance.

We did a Gas Station planter box with Yuccas, Barberry, Day lily, and Blue Rug Juniper. Watered the first year. Not since. Been there for 12 years.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Promower, Consider your self lucky mate. There was a stage where I live when It didn't rain for 7months straight. The way I dealed with this was to tell all my accounts that Iam packing up shop and moving further north. Thats what I did.
I dought if you are in full blown drought?
Just sit it out. The drought will break

·
Registered
48 Posts
So when you charge by the month, there's no extra if the case is that it's really dry and you're only mowing once every two weeks?

I'm sure if that's the case, then theres also no charge if its ideal weather and you're having to mow two times a week or more. Then is it still the same fixed rate? Have you built in some room for occassions like this?

Does it go both ways, and pretty much even itself out in the end? Some months you only mow 3 times... other months 5 or 6?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
we never cut twice a week here reguardless of growth.
we cut same day, same time, every week till last week oct. then every two weeks till Jan. then as needed. till April.

Right now our grass is growing about 3/4 inch per day on our good lawns and about 1/2 on all others

·
Registered
791 Posts
Glan: It was only beginning of last year. There were many fires around Sydney. I don't know what sort of media coverage youz got on this but the drought has only broken within the last 6 months (Still a bit dry in Sydney) I lived in Sydney when all this was going down. it was bloody scary (Business almost going under and fires).
I got a call at about 2am from a mate that had a 7m fire wall traveling up the gully that their house was in asking me to bring around my Davey fire fighting pump (Excellent piece of machinery) We spent 14 hours straight down the back of his property and surrounding properties fighting this fire . There was around 15 residents and friends we had 6 Davey pumps 4 swimming pools to pump from and 4 local volunteer fireys (who couldn't fight a fire if their live depended on it) and garden hoses buckets etc. Two mates lost their entire homes and possessions but we saved 5 and nobody was hurt so I think we did all right considering the mates homes were insured for fire. Around 60 other people wern't so lucky in our area alone.
I only moved north 4 months ago (near MickHippy).Its hard to leave a good customer base and even harder Starting all over. Mother Nature can be a Bit*h mate. :mad:

·
Registered
305 Posts
promower

I can feel your pain! No rain at all since the middle of July! We are lucky to be able to mow 3 in a day when we are supposed to be mowing 10. Everything is crispy and brown.

We're doing gutter cleaning, pulling out some bushes, and whatever else we can scrounge up to keep us in $$$.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Pro, are your accounts watering?
Remind them it's cheaper to water than to resod.
Might get a one page 'watering guide' printed for them suggesting best watering methods. So many people still think a sprinkle a day is the way. Couple deep waterings a week would probably give you plenty of new growth to mow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.