• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

How can I get government contracts?

S&S Outdoor Services

LawnSite Member
A few quick questions...

What is the best way to get government contracts?

What do they consider when looking for contractors?

What is the most common type of work they have for landscape/ lawn contractors?

Thanks in advance - Sam

JohnGalt

LawnSite Member
Start here: https://www.fbo.gov/

I tried this route too but reached a big dead end. I have a close friend that is a goverment contracting officer and he explained why I was having trouble finding anything. The government has so few contracting officers for so many contracts that they tend to either package them together in huge chunks (like ALL the Post Offices in the state) and/or they have the contract renewal dates set for long periods of time (3 to 5 years).

Good luck!

anotherturfgeek

LawnSite Member
call whatever entity you are pursuing on the phone. Saves alot of time, and effort!

Daily Lawn/Landscape

LawnSite Senior Member
I did work for a property management company the last 4 yrs. They only dealt with gov. contracts. The new process for bidding gov. contracts is changing. The first to be able to bid starting this year is minority owned businesses. So if your not a minority, don't bother. The company I dealt with is closing shop, because that all he went for was gov. contracts.

James

OP
S

S&S Outdoor Services

LawnSite Member
I'm a Marine Reservist and I've heard they like that too. Theres a check on there for veteran-owned small business and a check for Disabled vet-owned business and I'm not either one of those. So, who knows...

bohiaa

LawnSite Fanatic
I personaly would stay a way from them, STATE also.

We are NOT seeking any more state contracts this year and for the next 5 years.

not sure how you are, But my friend, the government and the state goes broke quite offten. I will never forget in the 80's and early 90's when the state put a freeze on all contracts...
We had to work for 10 months with out getting paid. in almost sank us..

right now is NOT a time to be seeking any Government nor state contracts

Hoots

LawnSite Senior Member
Contact the city or state offices that you want to work for. Most have an online sign up. I look through demandstar.com for some. The only problem is they want to charge through the nose for automatic notifications.

The biggest problem is price.

In the DFW area, namely Arlington and Fort Worth, you need to offer to pay the city to allow you to mow. The latest bids came in at $15 per acre for mow, weedeat, edge and blow debris from the parking lots for some city parks. Yet another in Fort Worth came in around $9 per acre. The $9 per acre lowered their own bid from the previous contract period.

I don't know what is going on but that same $9 per acre was $60 per acre 5 years ago.:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

bohiaa

LawnSite Fanatic
Contact the city or state offices that you want to work for. Most have an online sign up. I look through demandstar.com for some. The only problem is they want to charge through the nose for automatic notifications.

The biggest problem is price.

In the DFW area, namely Arlington and Fort Worth, you need to offer to pay the city to allow you to mow. The latest bids came in at $15 per acre for mow, weedeat, edge and blow debris from the parking lots for some city parks. Yet another in Fort Worth came in around $9 per acre. The $9 per acre lowered their own bid from the previous contract period.

I don't know what is going on but that same $9 per acre was $60 per acre 5 years ago.:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:
I'm assuming that your talking about parks and such ? and I have NEVER herd of it being that low. however I'm sure you knwo that you MUST follow the state's rules. such as posted work sgins, vest and such.
we were doing some road side mowing. were still under contract. hoping NOT to resgin up....
so I may have 4 tractors sitting around

you dont need to pay to do this. nor do you need to pay a 3rd party co. to send you leads...

http://www.window.state.tx.us/procurement/

Hoots

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm assuming that your talking about parks and such ? and I have NEVER herd of it being that low. however I'm sure you knwo that you MUST follow the state's rules. such as posted work sgins, vest and such.
we were doing some road side mowing. were still under contract. hoping NOT to resgin up....
so I may have 4 tractors sitting around

you dont need to pay to do this. nor do you need to pay a 3rd party co. to send you leads...

http://www.window.state.tx.us/procurement/
Yes, it is city parks. Arlington parks and recreation started subbing these 5 baseball parks with 2 pool areas (no ball field mowing, only outside) this year. The bids ranged from $75ish per acre to $15 per acre.

This was for 155 acres ranging from 12 acres at one park to 64 mowable acres at the big park to be cut every 7 days-35 cycles. $81,375 was the winner. To some they would say WOW, I've never seen $81,000. When you have the overhead to take care of that much area they will NEVER SEE $81,000. By the way, this is all done with finish mowers, no PTO allowed.

Now I'm curious to see how my other bid compared to the others on a school bid of 455 acres spread through 35 properties.

Long and short of ALL OF THIS.......Someone is going out of business this year.:clapping:

AintNoFun

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'm a Marine Reservist and I've heard they like that too. Theres a check on there for veteran-owned small business and a check for Disabled vet-owned business and I'm not either one of those. So, who knows...

cha ching cha ching... get that paperwork in asap and the bids will be at your door overnight!