How can I use my bed edger when pipes get hit like this?

JackJohnson2323

LawnSite Member
I am at a customers house and my bed edger edges to about 4 inches. I asked the customer if there are any pipes I should be concerned about. They said they weren’t sure but don’t think so. Well I hit these two pipes, looks like the PVC pipe for the gutter. How serious is this? I would like to fix it for them obviously. But if the edger can easily hit these, how should I proceed? I want to avoid problems like this.

Attachments

• A4CC080B-D862-4240-B62A-AED08570FCF6.jpeg
    A4CC080B-D862-4240-B62A-AED08570FCF6.jpeg
    809 KB · Views: 100
  • 601BE049-AE9E-4715-B441-296B32CE4814.jpeg
    601BE049-AE9E-4715-B441-296B32CE4814.jpeg
    803.1 KB · Views: 99

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
You are right, it looks like PVC thin wall drain pipe, probably standard 3". It is easy enough to fix. It probably leads the downspouts to daylight, but in some areas it may connect to the public sewer or a drainage system of some sort.

If you do not have any thin wall PVC at home, ask the home owner if they have any spare, and any PVC cement. Cut two sections about 6" to 8" longer than the gap in the damaged pipe, with one slightly longer than the first to splice over the damaged section. A hack saw works well to cut it, and clean the burrs off the cut ends with any convenient blade. Then slice them lengthwise so you can spread them. The pipe is pretty flexible and should easily spread more than the diameter of the pipe.

Excavate around the ends of the cut pipe and clean the cut pipe as best you can. Apply a generous amount of PVC cement to the exposed ends of the damaged pipe (remember to do it all around, on the bottom as well as the exposed top), spread the longer of the two pieces which you cut to be used as splices, and then put it in position. If you can place it with the lengthwise cut positioned close to up it will help. The lengthwise cut will have a gap due to being spread, and the second section is to cover that gap. Apply a generous amount of PVC cement over the first splice, and especially in the gap, and then spread the shorter splice section and slip it over the first so the gap on it is close to the opposite side as the gap on the first. Slather a bit of PVC cement into the gap of the first, longer section. After the cement dries look for any obvious gaps and add cement if needed. The result should be stronger than the original pipe. If there is any leakage it should be of no significance.

This stuff is easy to damage. A string trimmer running along a foundation can knock a hole in it where it goes into the ground. If you have clients with downspouts going into the ground it can be handy to carry some pieces and a can of PVC cement to use as bandaids. If it is a case of a trimmer knocking a hole in one side a single fairly short section can be used to cover and seal the hole.

Top Forums