How can this be fixed?

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
You got lucky. Could have been worse. Could have killed the trees and perennials.

Tough situation to be in. Tough to own up to it, as it makes you appear honest but incompetent. Almost have to own up to it though, otherwise it will appear odd that you are willing to fix it for free.

Tough spot to be in. What are you going to do?

You may want to only use gly in beds from here on out

OP
FitzRightYardServices

FitzRightYardServices

LawnSite Senior Member
You got lucky. Could have been worse. Could have killed the trees and perennials.

Tough situation to be in. Tough to own up to it, as it makes you appear honest but incompetent. Almost have to own up to it though, otherwise it will appear odd that you are willing to fix it for free.

Tough spot to be in. What are you going to do?

You may want to only use gly in beds from here on out
No issues with be honesty about my mistakes plus the customer is a really cool guy so that helps. Both of us have been puzzled about what was going on. I’m doing research now that I know what the issue is…..hopefully I can correct it before the season is over.

gardiner

LawnSite Senior Member
The second picture is the only one that looks like a wash out. That the black mulch washed out into the lawn. The other pictures looks to be over spray. Where the edges was sprayed. On a windy day.
I picked up a customer that fired her lawn guy. He came back throwing cups full of round up .
In 3 spots. All I did was thatch up the dead. Added seed and starter.
It filled in nicely.
I was weary of taken her.
Knowing the last guy was pissed.
Something went down.
She turned out to be a great customer. That paid good & sent me lots of work. I did that property a good 5 years. Till she passed away with cancer. The new homeowner. Let me finish the season. Before doing it themselves.
Now should be a good time. To reseed it.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Kemco is right. Chemical treatment of the bark areas. Read the label carefully. I hope you do not have to replace every bush and tree--in addition to the turf.
I wonder how long you will have to wait until the soil can be successfully reseeded? Call Ortho and discuss. This has happened before--naturally.
Every month, put some of the soil in flower pots inside and add grass seed--just to see when the contaminated soil will allow new seed to take hold.
You may need to replace the soil.
You may need to mix an activated carbon product into the soil (to absorb the chemical) to allow seed or sod to take hold. It is probably best to try to resod the affected areas first.
Get your pesticide certificate.
Yes, Roundup would have been a safer alternative. No soil activity from Roundup.
Maybe Preen or better, "Snapshot" is better for garden pre-emergent weed prevention.
Here is a charcoal remediation product--but discontinued.

Last edited:

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
No issues with be honesty about my mistakes plus the customer is a really cool guy so that helps. Both of us have been puzzled about what was going on. I’m doing research now that I know what the issue is…..hopefully I can correct it before the season is over.
Does your area require licensing to apply products? If so do you have license?

I'm not saying this to bust your chops neccessarily, but more as a lesson for us all, on really knowing what we are working with before applying it.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Just till it up put new seed down, your getting to that time anyway.....

grass4gas

LawnSite Bronze Member
Just till it up put new seed down, your getting to that time anyway.....
That soil is more than likely sterilzed and needs to be removed and new soil added before seeding

OP
FitzRightYardServices

FitzRightYardServices

LawnSite Senior Member
I contacted Ortho and shared the pictures and they have no clue what is going on. They said it looks like it might be disease and to get the soil tested.

A week later I see regrowth of grass so I have no clue what is going on.
C2B7991A-9E20-46FD-BBAC-AB088B47AD80.jpeg
1EA39F75-CAC0-4EDB-A5B9-60526CDCBEE3.jpeg

Top Forums