• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

how close is your name to other businesses?

stevenf

LawnSite Bronze Member
I went with evergreen landscape management TLC because I couldn't find anyone near me with a name like it. Today I was getting a sign named and the lady ask if I was someone they had done business with. Sure enough there is another name similar to mine in the same city. I'm considering changing it but I already spent a lot of time and money. Have you guys ever had identity problems with customers mixing up phone book or internet searches to find someone other then you?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoy landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
i go by my last name to but damnit theres another hoy about 2o minutes away who i am not related to. which kind of pissed me off

OP
S

stevenf

LawnSite Bronze Member
The other company seems to be in a lower class home according to google maps and doesn't have a website. They also don't advertise the sames services I do from what I can tell. I'm more worried about spending 5k in advertising for them to gain some of my business....
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
The other company seems to be in a lower class home according to google maps and doesn't have a website. They also don't advertise the sames services I do from what I can tell. I'm more worried about spending 5k in advertising for them to gain some of my business....
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't worry too much about that, make sure your phone number is on there one,
because I've gotten calls for 'other' companies and I can almost always tell right away something's
not adding up... There's just no sense in it, if I know they're not looking for me, I get to showing up
at their house and they're looking at me all sorts of weird because I'm not their guy..?
Waste of my time driving out there, better if I catch it and set it straight right on the phone.

Besides if someone else is already dealing with them and it's a case of mistaken identity, I really don't want it.
Some might say why would I not take that account, I say just imagine word gets out I'm pulling this sort of crap...

So then there might be a few folks out there to whom your ad might serve as a reminder to
OH Yeah I gotta call that (other) guy but then I'd expect it might work the other way around, too.

So I would go right ahead and put the ad out, no fear.

Last edited:

joel29m

LawnSite Senior Member
Last month I changed my name due to two other competitors in my area with the same last name, the one I have now I couldn't find no one with even if I google it, but I know somebody could just have it and not really in the lawn bus. As much.
Posted via Mobile Device

N.TX

LawnSite Senior Member
Make sure they are legit. If their name is not registered then you should call the owner and nicely explain that you rightfully own the name and that you will allow him to quit using your name illegally. If he argues then you should tell him you will seek legal action. If the name is not close enough to yours to be a legal matter and it is registered then you may want to change yours. And like one guy said ...make sure you phone number is on there in big bold letters.

brucec32

LawnSite Platinum Member
In most states the secretary of state maintains a list of company names. In most cases, you cannot get a business license if you have not run your name through that checklist and gotten your business name "approved". So, the question is, do you have a business license? If the other party is at fault, you could request that they change, but likely you'd have to sue or do something else you're unlikely to get into.

If you are in the same town it is likely you will eventually have a problem of some sort.

joel29m

LawnSite Senior Member
In most states the secretary of state maintains a list of company names. In most cases, you cannot get a business license if you have not run your name through that checklist and gotten your business name "approved". So, the question is, do you have a business license? If the other party is at fault, you could request that they change, but likely you'd have to sue or do something else you're unlikely to get into.

If you are in the same town it is likely you will eventually have a problem of some sort.
And that's true, my opinion, if you been in business with that name long enough to be noticed easily do what Bruce said, or change it to something else, which is kinda hard to find something no one else has.
Posted via Mobile Device