How could the super rich justify paying a lot for your service?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Benjamin George, Nov 20, 2018.

1. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

For one, it’s pretty greasy to refer to your customers as “filthy rich”. For two, they are wealthy for a reason; if anyone is going to fool them out of their money no offense but the sucker mowing their lawn probably isn’t him lol

sjessen, Mark Oomkes and knox gsl like this.
  2. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

You can charge a pretty penny for cleaning the Swan Cloaca. Homeowners shy away from doing this themselves.

starry night likes this.
  3. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

:eek:

4. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

By chance are you related to a guy named Robin Hood?

5. iand

iand LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the richest people I know are also some of the tightest and some of the poorest are the most generous

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea having money or not having doesn't necessarily reflect how frugal you are.
    "Filthy Rich" is a slang term from way back. People who got a lot of money unscrupulous ways. Now, to many, it just means you are super rich. If I win the lottery--hey I am filthy rich!!:laugh:

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

While this is frequently true, I know a lot of rich people who donate a lot of money to schools, churches, charities.

Like them or not, the founders of Amway were extremely charitable. Both directly and indirectly. Their families continue on that tradition.

8. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Let’s look at this as how do you attract high end customers who want top shelf services.

From observation, there’s two ways of going at this. 1. Credentials. An advanced degree in a relevant major coupled with an ability to walk the talk. Formal education doesn’t mean anything really but it can be an entre to people who want the “finer things.” You have to be able to deliver results that meet the (often unreasonably high) expectations these customers will have.

2. Referrals. If you do exceptional work for a fair price (fair for the level of result achieved, not necessarily just the going rate for typical quality), your name will make the rounds. A showplace property in a well off development is as much advertising as you’ll need. Achieving standout results in an area that’s already going to be high end is no easy feat. If you can do it, every neighbor and guest who sees the place will ask who is caring for it.

If you know what you’re doing and can deliver results, it’s fair to charge more. Expertise has value. If the goal is to just rip people off at high pricing because they make a lot of money, long term prospects are not good. You can fool some of the people some of the time . . . . Word gets around eventually.

Tara Ann likes this.
  9. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Robin hood stole from the government and gave back to the people.

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Geez. Everyone just decided to grow a fake, excessive conscience in November now that Santa’s watching I guess. Nobody wants to leave money on the table. That said, the folks most willing to spend are the moderately wealthy. The very wealthy naturally assume they are automatically being taken advantage of, so they are on the lookout. I’m not sure what your definition is of ultra wealthy but those people don’t hire us anyway. They have in house caretakers.