How Critical is Overloading Your Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ricklion2, Oct 21, 2019.

1. ricklion2

ricklion2 LawnSite Member

We experienced stress as business owners when we need to complete a job on time.It is necessary for our business to carry materials, and proper tools to complete the job. Your truck, or work vehicle is designed to carry safely so much amount of paying cargo.That information is stamped on the door decal of your truck. It is important to know how much you can carry safely, and what you can do to increase to pay load.
    If your paying cargo is less that what you can load up you are safe and not aiming for a tire or truck failure. However, if your needs are over the weight limit approved, modifications must be done. The aftermarket industry serves that need. Cargo coils, leaf spring load kits, and a choice of extra-load tires and heavy duty truck tires are available to serve the need. Please, always check for the right amount of load. Do not overload the truck it is not safe.
    Thanks for reading,

Rick the tire guy.

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

What's stamped on the sticker is what your legally allowed. No amount of mods will change that sticker.

Sure you can mod to help things out but you still must comply with that sticker.

3. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

What he said ^

however, you can de rate trucks to be non cdl compliant

4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Really,,,,,overload the truck, add springs to help.....what about brakes? You didnt mention anything about that?

Does the new h.d. springs come with a new DOT door sticker?

5. OP
    OP
    ricklion2

Yes, you are right! I will be talking about beefing up the disc rotors, and upgrading calipers,master cylinder and other hydraulic components.
    thanks for the feedback!.

Rick the tire guy.

6. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

So your going to spend a boat load to "upgrade" you f150....when if you just buy the correct truck for the job you wouldn't be in predicament anyway.

What size rotors will fit with factory rims?
    How many upgraded calipers are available for work trucks? What about upgraded master cylinders?

7. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

And you still are limited by that dang sticker.

8. tdipaul

tdipaul LawnSite Member

Years ago a boss wanted me to load up a single axle dump with 6 yards of fill and at the same time pull a Case 580 backhoe on a brake-less tagalong trailer. About 65,000# gross.

Even as dumb as I was back then I still said "hell no"

9. OP
    OP
    ricklion2

As important as it is, brakes can be enhanced without spending a lot of money. This information is for guys like me that do not have the money to upgrade the current work truck.

Thanks for reading,

Rick the tire guy.

10. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Again nothing you can do can change the rating on your truck. If you need more payload or towing capacity you have to switch trucks.