How Critical is Overloading Your Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ricklion2, Oct 21, 2019.

1. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

all the f150 guys are shaking their head at this thread! they all run around overloaded all day every day. Love how the ford guys think their trucks are indestructible and can do more then they are rated for!

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

You need to quit while you're behind.

You're actually advocating breaking the law.

Wait...so you don't have the money to upgrade the truck, but you want to remove the existing body and install an aluminum body to save a couple hundred pounds?

Is this thread for real?

Do you not comprehend what BigJ is saying?

It doesn't matter what anyone does to a truck (except adding an axle) it will not increase the legal carrying capacity of that truck.

This is ridiculous.

3. Mark Oomkes

So I order an F750 from Ford, get it built as a 33K GVWR truck, but they put a sticker that says GVWR 25,995 on the door jamb and it is treated as a 33k truck?

Before you answer, this is federal law, not individual state laws we're talking about.

Registering and what the manufacturer's GVWR are 2 entirely different items.

4. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Is the weight savings all that much in a light duty truck? Yeah, in a 40 yard trailer, I could see it being a significant amount of weight savings, but if aluminum really made that big a difference, wouldn't everyone be using it already?

The way I see it, a lighter body may shave off a percentage of curb weight. Small body = small savings, still at big expense. But I guess if you're looking to squeeze every pound of capacity while keeping your registration GVWR below a threshold to save you money there, then maybe it will pay off over time.

5. Mark Oomkes

Seems like we were just having this discussion in the hybrid trailer thread regarding tongue weight.

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

From what I have read , federal law goes by the manufacturer truck rating on door jam . Now the state of Md lets you register the truck at a lighter weight . BUT you still need a CDL if the truck is rated over 26K

7. Mark Oomkes

That's what I said.

This can be done in any state.

That isn't what Dandy Andy said.

You're confusing the manufacturers GVWR on the door and registration weight.

CDL is determined by the sticker on the door, not the registration. In all and any state.

Handy Andy said a truck can be derated as in a sticker on the door stating GVWR is 26,000 or 25,995 and not require a CDL. He is correct. In any state.

I can register that same truck at 36K and not need a CDL until I hook a trailer to it. Whether I actually weigh that much or not.

And you can register a CDL truck at 28k even if it has a 33k GVWR but if you load it past 28k (truck or truck\trailer combo) you're overweight even though the truck can legally carry that much, PLUS you have to have a CDL.

This is all federal.

8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

I think we are saying the same thing .

9. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

I love me some CDL/DOT threads!!! Disappointed though. Not 1 mention of air brakes.

10. Mark Oomkes

We are, but I am saying the same thing Handy Dandy Andy did and you said he was wrong.