How Critical is Overloading Your Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ricklion2, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Bolts can weigh a lot...ratchet or bungee straps are lighter.

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Dang right you are.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

WE all think you started off by saying we should modify our trucks to carry more weight than is legally allowed...hence the title of the thread.

Then we think you tried to deny it even though it's in indelible monitor ink.

Now I think you are trying to sell something without becoming a sponsor.

4. OP
    OP
    ricklion2

ricklion2 LawnSite Member

Your accusations are not funded. I had the opportunity to enrolled before. I am considering it to avoid future verbal confrontations with members that the only thing they look is to criticize posts.

Thank you.

5. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

let's stick to the topic...no need for attacks, etc.

6. OP
    OP
    ricklion2

ricklion2 LawnSite Member

I will rectify my comments and continue with my information, and information needed.

7. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

So wait, If I get a flatbed made of aluminum I can haul more? Yes or no @ricklion2

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  8. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

I think I can put sides on the bed of my truck and haul way more ______(add anything here) over legal weight limits or not. Besides how much weight does that save off an aluminum body f1 piece of crap? 50 lbs? I guess if you want to ruin the resale value even more....

9. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

So if I understand this thread, all my F150 needs is drilled slotted Air brakes, and a spring and I will be just as cool as the big kids with the Kenworth's? Got It!
    I am glad you live in California so I don't have to worry about my families safety.

10. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Bronze Member

One has to be careful when getting into different weight classes and modifying a vehicle thinking it can feel like it can do more to handle a higher load.

In Ontario, you require a CVOR or commercial vehicle operator registration for vehicles above 9920lbs GVWR. Changing the vehicle to better handle a certain load is acceptable but it does not increase any of the weights; axle weight, gross weight, payload, or combined weight ratings.

New owners of light trucks are the most vulnerable. As an example, my 2011 Ram 1500 in quad cab 4x4 5.7L V8 can carry 1425lbs of payload. Minus my 250 and some tools in the back seat my effective payload is just over 1100lbs.

For this reason Ford offers a payload package on the F150 so you can carry needed items without having to buy a heavier and thirstier truck.

There are some half tons, even the new Ram 1500 fully loaded diesel has a payload of just over 1000lbs. Take into account the weight of the passengers and that payload lowers quickly. Attach a 6000lb trailer and with an estimated 10% tongue weight you might have to choose between leaving some gear, or some family members at home.

The Tundra is even worse when fully loaded as it has an effective payload under 1000lbs which severely limits its capability. Owners aren't usually aware of this, so they'll stuff their spouse, kids, pets in the cab and hook up a 8500lb trailer because the truck is advertised to tow it...with only a 150lb driver in the cab.

Adding springs, bushings, etc, the truck would require to be recertified to carry more weight legally and that is a big expense. Its easier to spec a truck with the capability you require.

Ford offers a 9900lb downgrade package on both the F250 and F350. You have many options depending what you plan to use the truck for without needing commercial certification. GM and Ram offer a similar downgrade GVWR package on certain configurations.

My 1500 works for what I need it to do. When I pick up salt for the winter I make 2 or three trips as needed so as not to exceed the operational capacity of the vehicle.

Get into a collision, even if you didnt cause it, you can be subject to heavy fines for operating a vehicle over it's designated weight limits and the US DOT in some states will fine you $1/pound that you're over weight. It's just not about tires and what they can handle in terms of weight, but speed, and other factors all add up to remaining safe on the road for not only yourself, but for other motorists.

If you drive into the back of my truck because you were running over capacity and cant stop in time, I won't go lightly on prosecution.

Upgrading brakes only goes so far as you're limited by tire traction for the given load/weight of the vehicle, and the brake booster will only push the brakes to the rotor with a certain amount of force even if you upgrade the pads, or even the calipers to a multi piston setup for several thousand dollars. Sure, spend the money on better pads and rotors with a higher nickle content but ultimately you wont see a drastic change in braking performance, but rather a longer lifespan before the rotors warp from heat. You get what you pay for here, and buying a heavier truck to meet the needs you require is ultimately the best investment.