How did you break the mentality of “I wouldn’t pay that so why should they?”

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Here's something that has not been mentioned yet. Lets say you worked an office job hourly. Well you would be paid every minute you were there, from punch in till punch out. As a contractor you need to look at it the same way. You need to get paid for every minute devoted to your business. Time driving to gas station to fill your vehicle and mower, time driving to bid the job, time writing up the bid, time for the three other bids you wrote but didn't get, time to do machine maintenance, time to invoice, etc etc. You need to make an acceptable wage for ALL of the time devoted to your business. From the minute you leave until the minute you get home you are on that clock. You can't just view it as the time mowing... the actual mowing time is just a small part of it. This is why you have to charge higher.

Lets say you mowed for two hours and charged $80. Well you might think you made $40 an hour, but that's not true. When you calculate all the other things that go into the job that I already listed, you in reality might have 5 hours into it. So in reality you made $16 per hour. This is why you need to charge $150, so for your five hours of work you end up making $30 per hour. When you factor it like this, $150 doesn't even sound like enough now does it? Lol.

Good luck

OP
N

Nic1295

LawnSite Member
Here's something that has not been mentioned yet. Lets say you worked an office job hourly. Well you would be paid every minute you were there, from punch in till punch out. As a contractor you need to look at it the same way. You need to get paid for every minute devoted to your business. Time driving to gas station to fill your vehicle and mower, time driving to bid the job, time writing up the bid, time for the three other bids you wrote but didn't get, time to do machine maintenance, time to invoice, etc etc. You need to make an acceptable wage for ALL of the time devoted to your business. From the minute you leave until the minute you get home you are on that clock. You can't just view it as the time mowing... the actual mowing time is just a small part of it. This is why you have to charge higher.

Lets say you mowed for two hours and charged $80. Well you might think you made $40 an hour, but that's not true. When you calculate all the other things that go into the job that I already listed, you in reality might have 5 hours into it. So in reality you made $16 per hour. This is why you need to charge $150, so for your five hours of work you end up making $30 per hour. When you factor it like this, $150 doesn't even sound like enough now does it? Lol.

Good luck
Wow that really opened my eyes. Your right it’s not just the time spent actually mowing or doing the job. I still have to be careful as I’m new and don’t want to come across as charging to much though as I can’t command the same prices as the pros that are way faster and use better equipment. Although I’m already charging $30 less per hour than them so I think it’s fair

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Wow that really opened my eyes. Your right it’s not just the time spent actually mowing or doing the job. I still have to be careful as I’m new and don’t want to come across as charging to much though as I can’t command the same prices as the pros that are way faster and use better equipment. Although I’m already charging $30 less per hour than them so I think it’s fair
Don't take this the wrong way. You sound very inexperienced and naive business wise, possibly you are young?.

Heres the deal -you need to price yourself competitively with your competition. Period. No excuses. Just do it.

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't take this the wrong way. You sound very inexperienced and naive business wise, possibly you are young?.

Heres the deal -you need to price yourself competitively with your competition. Period. No excuses. Just do it.
Exactly, and completely skipped over my reply, Perfectly fine with me.

Top Forums