How did you break the mentality of “I wouldn’t pay that so why should they?”

OP
N

Nic1295

LawnSite Member
Don't take this the wrong way. You sound very inexperienced and naive business wise, possibly you are young?.

Heres the deal -you need to price yourself competitively with your competition. Period. No excuses. Just do it.

None taken, your right i have much to learn that is why i'm trying to soak up and learn as much as i can on this forum from the experienced guys. Never ran a business in my entire life. Well gardners in my area can charge from $50-$120ph so i think $50 an hour is a good start. Im pretty certain id do just as well a job as they would just not as fast

Last edited:

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Wow that really opened my eyes. Your right it’s not just the time spent actually mowing or doing the job. I still have to be careful as I’m new and don’t want to come across as charging to much though as I can’t command the same prices as the pros that are way faster and use better equipment. Although I’m already charging $30 less per hour than them so I think it’s fair
If you are really charging $30 less per hour than most of your competitors, you won't stay in business long. Maybe $10 less than them until you gain experience and upgraded equipment. But you need to start charging more immediately.

Your previous post about telling the customer in the million dollar house you'd take $30 less is NUTS. If someone calls you in a pinch because their previous guy bailed on them, you need to be charging double at least. There is a premium to squeeze you in your schedule if the customer needs it done quickly. Like I mentioned in a previous post.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
None taken, your right i have much to learn that is why i'm trying to soak up and learn as much as i can on this forum for the experienced guys. Never ran a business in my entire life. Well gardners in my area can charge from $50-$120ph so i think $50 an hour is a good start. Im pretty certain id do just as well a job as they would just not as fast
Is that $50/hr before or after you cut yourself out of that $30 you mentioned ?

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
Look at how much you actually make at the end of the year, if you think you worked to hard for the $$ or you struggle to buy new stuff out repair. There ya go

OP
N

Nic1295

LawnSite Member
If you are really charging $30 less per hour than most of your competitors, you won't stay in business long. Maybe $10 less than them until you gain experience and upgraded equipment. But you need to start charging more immediately.

Your previous post about telling the customer in the million dollar house you'd take $30 less is NUTS. If someone calls you in a pinch because their previous guy bailed on them, you need to be charging double at least. There is a premium to squeeze you in your schedule if the customer needs it done quickly. Like I mentioned in a previous post.

Yeah i felt so stupid after doing that I could have got $100 easy for that job. Il stick to my guns of $50-$60 an hour depending on the job as i think that is a fair price

OP
N

Nic1295

LawnSite Member
Do you guys think $50 or $60 an hour is a fair price for someone in my position who has just started out but still has all the gear? Prices vary so much between the competition where we have so many guys on gumtree (our equivalent to craigslist) charging like $30 a lawn but they look seriously unprofessional and i cant imagine they do a good job. Where as there are gardners that look like to be charging $60-$100 an hour. I worked with a gardner for a few months just to get the ropes of it and he must have been charging upwards of $100 an hour i would think. As he had 3 guys on and each one was $800 a week..

Top Forums