How did you break the mentality of “I wouldn’t pay that so why should they?”

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I wont make that mistake he literally pulled out the $100 to give me as well... :confused: same guy that asked if i could do any cheaper as he said his last gardener did it all for $30 :oops:. I mean just for that alone i should have charged him more
Yep. I tell people when they tell me things like that why didn't they call that person back then.

I gave a quote to mow a small yard this summer. I don't know if you have Nextdoor in Aus or not. This lady was looking for a professional mower. She needed her grass cut at 4" high. It was in my area so I told her I'd go by. She had a house that was a year old. The contractor put 2 rows of sod along her sidewalk that looked great. The rest was complete weeds and dirt. She needed someone to cut it taller so it should grow in better. Would have been a 20 minute job. But my minimum is $45 right now. It was barely a 4000sq ft yard. She said no, that's too high. When I asked what she paid before, she said she paid the kid up the street $30. But his mower didn't cut high enough, because it was a cheap push mower. I deducted her that if she wanted a professional cut, she would have to pay a professional price. I offered to overseed thw garbage in her yard come fall, and left her my card. Even a $30 mow would have been doable, since she was 5 minutes from another account. But my minimum is $45. I'm not going below.

OP
N

Nic1295

LawnSite Member
Yep. I tell people when they tell me things like that why didn't they call that person back then.

I gave a quote to mow a small yard this summer. I don't know if you have Nextdoor in Aus or not. This lady was looking for a professional mower. She needed her grass cut at 4" high. It was in my area so I told her I'd go by. She had a house that was a year old. The contractor put 2 rows of sod along her sidewalk that looked great. The rest was complete weeds and dirt. She needed someone to cut it taller so it should grow in better. Would have been a 20 minute job. But my minimum is $45 right now. It was barely a 4000sq ft yard. She said no, that's too high. When I asked what she paid before, she said she paid the kid up the street $30. But his mower didn't cut high enough, because it was a cheap push mower. I deducted her that if she wanted a professional cut, she would have to pay a professional price. I offered to overseed thw garbage in her yard come fall, and left her my card. Even a $30 mow would have been doable, since she was 5 minutes from another account. But my minimum is $45. I'm not going below.

Yeah i don't blame you. I think people forget your using all your own equipment, doing a professional job and still having to drive to there house etc. If you agreed on $30 she might tell other people you mow for $30 and that would just start causing problems id think.

One-Man Lawn

LawnSite Senior Member
Do you guys think $50 or $60 an hour is a fair price for someone in my position who has just started out but still has all the gear? Prices vary so much between the competition where we have so many guys on gumtree (our equivalent to craigslist) charging like $30 a lawn but they look seriously unprofessional and i cant imagine they do a good job. Where as there are gardners that look like to be charging $60-$100 an hour. I worked with a gardner for a few months just to get the ropes of it and he must have been charging upwards of $100 an hour i would think. As he had 3 guys on and each one was $800 a week..
Hey there! I havent been very active here lately, but welcome to the business

I started out back in July last year. One-person operation, doing this part-time. I don't tell clients that, though. As long as you do quality work, are reliable, and communicate well, most people dont care about how new you are. All you're doing with this outlook is harming yourself.

I I don't have professional equipment. Everything I have is residential-class, and most of it was used until I could afford new. I charged $40/yard (up to a half-acre lot size) last season, regardless of frequency. This season I intend to charge that for weekly cuts, and $60 for EoWs. That's just for cutting with a 21" push mower, and takes anywhere from 1-1.5 hours per yard typically. When I get better equipment, I'll go faster and will be able to do more lawns in a day.

For landscaping and cleanups, I charge an hourly rate. Anything requiring power tools I'll charge an hourly rate as well, but higher.

I'm planning to hire someone part-time this coming season, and have no idea how to charge for jobs when I need to pay someone else. But, like I did last season, with the help of the people here, I'll learn as I go.

Dont undersell yourself. Itll happen anyway. I know it did on my first job, and on jobs after that. But underbidding, like others have said, only hurts you and other LCOs around you.

Good luck! You got this!

Carolina Cuttin' Company

LawnSite Bronze Member
Do you guys think $50 or $60 an hour is a fair price for someone in my position who has just started out but still has all the gear? Prices vary so much between the competition where we have so many guys on gumtree (our equivalent to craigslist) charging like $30 a lawn but they look seriously unprofessional and i cant imagine they do a good job. Where as there are gardners that look like to be charging $60-$100 an hour. I worked with a gardner for a few months just to get the ropes of it and he must have been charging upwards of $100 an hour i would think. As he had 3 guys on and each one was $800 a week..
Back to what everyone (including me) has already said. Don't give the customers low expectations regarding pricing! One day you will have to raise your prices and then it will hurt!

Carolina Cuttin' Company

LawnSite Bronze Member
I wont make that mistake he literally pulled out the $100 to give me as well... :confused: same guy that asked if i could do any cheaper as he said his last gardener did it all for $30 :oops:. I mean just for that alone i should have charged him more
And that's why you keep your prices high. Sometimes the richest people are the stingiest

Carolina Cuttin' Company

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hey there! I havent been very active here lately, but welcome to the business

I started out back in July last year. One-person operation, doing this part-time. I don't tell clients that, though. As long as you do quality work, are reliable, and communicate well, most people dont care about how new you are. All you're doing with this outlook is harming yourself.

I I don't have professional equipment. Everything I have is residential-class, and most of it was used until I could afford new. I charged $40/yard (up to a half-acre lot size) last season, regardless of frequency. This season I intend to charge that for weekly cuts, and $60 for EoWs. That's just for cutting with a 21" push mower, and takes anywhere from 1-1.5 hours per yard typically. When I get better equipment, I'll go faster and will be able to do more lawns in a day.

For landscaping and cleanups, I charge an hourly rate. Anything requiring power tools I'll charge an hourly rate as well, but higher.

I'm planning to hire someone part-time this coming season, and have no idea how to charge for jobs when I need to pay someone else. But, like I did last season, with the help of the people here, I'll learn as I go.

Dont undersell yourself. Itll happen anyway. I know it did on my first job, and on jobs after that. But underbidding, like others have said, only hurts you and other LCOs around you.

Good luck! You got this!
I would NOT mow .5 acres with a push mower! Esp. for $40. I did that one time in my family's yard (for free). Wow! That was exhausting and took hours! (Of course it was a little overgrown.

Typically I end up charging about $50 for .25 acres (Edge, Trim, Mow, Blow) and I get it done in 1 hr with a 48" ZTR. Typically for .5 acres with few obstacles, I charge $65-$75.

Top Forums