1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

How did you get started in the business?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by YardGal, Jun 16, 2011.

1. YardGal

YardGal LawnSite Member

It's always interesting to hear everyone's story of how it all started. What's yours? Hope you're having a great day!

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I grew up on a farm in West-Central IL. Originally I went to college for 1.5 years to become an agronomist. After a while I realized that wasn't necessarily what I wanted to do.

So I opted to go to a JC until I figure out exactly what I wanted to do. So in the meantime I took gen-ed courses, and graduated with an associates degree in art.

Moved to central IL. Sold shoes for a while, then worked at a fusion cooking restaurant, while helping my brother-in-law with his mowing service. During this time I began to appreciate in-door plant, gardening and general grounds maintenance. I had two clients during that time where I took care of their landscaping.

Then worked for my brother in law for about 2 years. It was primarily a high volume mow-service, and though it was great working for my family, I knew I wanted to get into primarily landscaping type work.

So, I decided to take the Master Garner's course through the University of Illinois Extension. At that point I realized I wanted to start my own business, and 6 years later, here I am.