how did you get your contractors license?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. TClawn

    TClawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,036

    when I'm 18 I'm looking at trying to get my contractors license. on of the requierments is
    to have "four years of supervisory experience", I am loath to employ my self to someone who is going to pay me $10.00 an hour when I can easily get 25-30 all by my self. my question is this: I am in a partnership with my little brother, can I in some way "supervise" him without making him an employee?

  2. TClawn

    TClawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,036

    nobody here has a contractors license?
  3. alpine692003

    alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,502

    All I did was, go to city hall and register my business.. and I got approved within minutes..
  4. TClawn

    TClawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,036

    I don't know if your under the same laws as I am. in america you have to have a contractors license to bid jobs over a $1,000 with labor AND materials included.

    to do business you have to have a business license along with a federal tax ID#
  5. JimLewis

    JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,872

    A lot of guys in THIS forum aren't licensed contractors in the sense that they are licensed to install new landscapes, irrigation systems, retaining walls, etc. Which is what I assume you are referring to. A lot of guys in the lawn care forum just do lawn care and related tasks (clean-ups, etc.)

    Youu'll find more licensed contractors in the other forums here on lawnsite like the Landscaping forum or the Irrigation Forum or the Water Features forum,

    Also, it's different from state to state. The requirements to get a contractor's license in Hawaii is totally different than the requirements to get one in California, Washington, or New York.

    Your question is rather specific to your state. In my area (Oregon, Washington) you don't have to have any "supervisory experience" to be a licensed contractor. There are tons of other requirements, but supervisory experience isn't one of them. I doubt that's a very common requirement in most other states either. So that's probably why you aren't getting too many responses.
  6. YardPro

    YardPro LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,570

    you're takling about a business liscense . they are not the same.

    Contact your state contractors org. or ALCA. they will yave the info you need.

    you will have to buy the study materials and study. it's a pretty in depth test, especially is you're new to the business.

    you really don't need it unless you're doing construction.

    as far as the experience requirement, most states have a provision for self employeed people.
    all you should need to do is provide proof that you have been in business for the required amount of time.
  7. Creative Lawn Care

    Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC
    Messages: 271

    You may have some differant laws than we do here in NC. Here you only need the contractors liscense for jobs over $30,000. I am in the process of getting mine right now. There is no time on the job requirements, however there is a coures to take a very long test and several financial requirements. You must have $15,000 in liquid assets to have a liscense up to $350,000 and it goes up from there according to how big of projects you are wanting to do.
  8. HOMER

    HOMER LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,183

    Bobby G would qualify, he has that in BEER ASSETS.
  9. paponte

    paponte LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,366

    LMAO! In NY you just have to register, make an appointment for a test and give $600.00. I passed the test with flying colors. Need to also have a Federal ID#, and propor insurance coverage as well. :)
  10. naturescaretaker

    naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 854

    We are registered with the state of SC. Here is you do any type of masonary work, i.e. retaining walls to flower beds and it involves stone you are required to have a General Contractors License for Masonary. It is a simple test that took a couple of hours to do. Then we are also registered with the cities that require us to do so. The test is more common sense then anything else.

Share This Page