How Do I Deal with Low Ballers?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by God'sGreenGrass, Aug 2, 2019.

1. God'sGreenGrass

God'sGreenGrass LawnSite Member
    from TEXAS

Hey guys I have a partner in Dallas trying to get established. There are low ballers charging $18 and they take 30 minutes a lawn. It is a two man crew working in a newer neighborhood that is only a couple years old. New houses are coming up around and they get the contracts becuase they are so cheap.I don't even know how they are in business because that comes out to a gross $18 an hour. How do you become a better competitor? We are not going to charge $18 a yard! We know the prices are usually $30-45 for Dallas area. This is ridiculously cheap. Well I'm done with my rant, any advice? And I mean REAL advice!

2. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Don't worry about them. Plenty of lawns for everyone. It gets frustrating at times when ya see them, but seriously I can only have so many lawns and these types of "companies" aren't going to snag them up...

I have lost one client due to a lower price...my price was $35...they dropped me a couple weeks later for a guy charging $20....that was 3 years ago...I don't mow theirs but I now mow 4 homes around them and only had one of those at the time this happened.

Not worth the worry. At all.

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

Don't give them a 2nd thought. Ain't worth your time.

zlandman and That Guy Gary like this.
  4. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

If you do quality work and take pride in your work people will see what kind of person you are and what you do and will pay your price.

Bigg-Lenny and kabrac like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    God'sGreenGrass

God'sGreenGrass LawnSite Member
    from TEXAS

i

Problem is they have 8+ customers on 1 street! Fyi we have a neighborhood business, so we cant go any where else. Were trying to expand through out the city, but need to start in our neighborhood.

6. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Need or want ?

kabrac likes this.
  7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Companies that seriously undercharge for their work usually do one of two things: Realize they aren't making any $ and raise prices or Two, go out of business.

There is a saying: I lose a little on every job but am making it up in volume.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You're in Texas. Get in the oil business where the real money is

weeze and RussellB like this.
  9. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

10. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

Only $18.00..Down here the going rate for a low baller is $10-15.00 per cut!