1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

how do i get licensed to apply fertilisers and pesticides in illinois??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by zippoz, May 19, 2005.

  1. zippoz

    zippoz LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    I called around and did a few searches, but i cant seem to find out what i need to do to get licensed and how much it costs, and if there is any schooling involved,

    can anyone help me?
  2. PLM-1

    PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,640

  3. zippoz

    zippoz LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    you know what, i have looked at that before, what i was trying to ask was how long of a process is it to get licensed, a few days, weeks, months?
  4. PLM-1

    PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,640

    months....it's not overnight. It is pretty long and drawn out. I didn't mean to be rude about the previous post. I didn't realize the you already took a look at that. Most people just ask the question w/o any research!
  5. zippoz

    zippoz LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    i was looking at the state of illinois site, and theire training programs, it looks to be a 2 day course ?! perhaps im not looking at the right one.. ill post tomorrow after i call them and find oout when the courses are offered and where.
  6. marko

    marko LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 963

    You can just go and take the test cold. If you pass, pay your $45, provide proof of a $500,000 insurance policey and your done. The knowledge you gain from the classes is good and I would recommend working with someone for a year to learn. Taking the test and being book smart is a very small part in the big picture.
  7. zippoz

    zippoz LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    proof of $500,000 insurance.... yeah i dont think ill be getting licensed any time soon.......
    all i wanted to do was spray fertiliser, a bit more complicated than i thought.....
  8. Chris Wagner

    Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 252

    $500,000 in insurance coverage doesn't mean you pay an insurance company $500,000. Where I work, they maintain the insurance and I'm not sure what they pay, but for my DJ business it's about $150 for $1 million liability per year.

    Are you serious about this as a business at all?
  9. Mgardner

    Mgardner LawnSite Member
    Messages: 156

    If you are working under a licenced applicator you only need a general standards test . If you are the sole prop you have to first pass the general standards test. Then you need to obtain a "category" turf, ornamentals or both, right of ways. Best to go to the seminar ,I went in cold to test and flunked. Went back a week later and passed my category. Then you don`t dare put anything down until they send your valid licence. They stress that upon completion. Observed many that were still there testing after three hours. I was out in two. No talking or looking around,because the instuctor is right there in the front desk. Talk about sweating bullets.
  10. gslawncare

    gslawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 134

    dude from illinois, the insurance is 72 per month for 2 million dollar coverage. so now that's solved. how many lawns are you planning on doing anyway. are you afraid your gonna kill someone or fish or plants. I'd say just go and do the work. Get the liscense on your off time you know like in december. If you get rolled on that sucks but I don't think you should have a problem. the only time you actually need the license is if your doing a bid and the company asks for proof otherwise spray away. as far as granular feeding, you don't need one. let all this idiots from the east tell you waht to do or just copy what all the mexicans do around here. go for it, land of the free

Share This Page