How do I get to $1/minute?

Jashley73

LawnSite Member
What I meant by error is as it sounds. I had begun to steer my course load towards mechatronics, dealing with robotics in manufacturing. In that environment you are expected to be on call in the event of a 3am malfunction at the Mercedes plant, or bosch, or ect.
The other thing is continuously studying the newest robotic systems as they are deployed in industry. Engineering was always something that I “should” do because I’m able to handle the math and concepts but as I approach middle age it seems less of the life I want to live.
I’m not saying I’m not considering a different engineering discipline but at the moment this business has allowed me a nice level of freedom as long as I complete what’s expected.

Meh. Go work for a robotics integrator. If you're OK with traveling on occasion, it's the better job, and you'll avoid working in the same crappy factory, being on call all the time.

Forget about "newest robotic systems." Learn 24v DC controls, and the rest will come to you as you're working on the job.

FWIW I'm on year 16 as a machinist. Part of my responsibility at work is keeping up with a robotic-tended CNC machining cell. If you want to work with industrial robots, then you want to work for a robotics integrator.

However, after 16 years and a pretty well paying job with decent benefits, I'm at the point where a self-employed manual labor job doing lawn & landscape sounds better & better.

TheHopper

LawnSite Member
Oh I hear you!

25 years here. Not robotics but pharmaceutical manufacturing. The more I look at my 401K and my side gig booms, all financed by my “day” job which has allowed me to put lots of $$$ in equipment, the less I wanna go make drugs every morning.

huh, that’s quite the run on sentence. Whelp, not fixing it but I do challenge people to beat it. Lol

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
I have 27 years at my job and cutting grass these last 8+ years has definitely been scratching me right where I itch, which is all over, but ex-specially between my ears which is why growing the biz has been so satisfying and a lot of people on here have helped me a lot even the ones who take shots at me because that can be insightful too.

How was that Hop-a-long??

TheHopper

LawnSite Member
I have 27 years at my job and cutting grass these last 8+ years has definitely been scratching me right where I itch, which is all over, but ex-specially between my ears which is why growing the biz has been so satisfying and a lot of people on here have helped me a lot even the ones who take shots at me because that can be insightful too.

How was that Hop-a-long??

Epic for sure!

RobertJ

LawnSite Member
Controls Engineer here by day. Switched to my current job because it got me off the road and home every night which is allowing me to kill time in this arena.
We'll see how it goes.

Top Forums